"closed loop" by pump INSIDE the tank

Nocturnal

Habitual Line Stepper
Might be a ridiculous question because it's the same idea as a powerhead or Tunze rock, but has anyone stuck a quiet one or mag drive inside the tank within the rocks and used that as water movement?

I'm moving soon so I'm thinking of doing a little different plumbing situation. Right now I am using a large quiet one pump ~1200gph as a closed loop. I'm thinking of taking this off and just putting the pump inside the tank with a small "manifold" to disperse flow multiple places. It would greatly increase the flow because there's no head. It would be totally hidden as I despise the look of equipment in the tank itself.
If you have done something like this, do you have any pics?

I guess my real question is, do you guys think these pieces "bother" the fish at all? I'm going to assume they must emit some type of "hum" in the water even if they seem silent.

Am I over-thinking this? lol
I just want my little fellas to be comfortable

I would hate the thought of moving rocks around in the tank just to do a little pump maintenance.

Jim

I have done this, and as Jim said, it is a pain to do maintenance on the thing. There is one thing you should remember, if it is a pain to do, you won't do it as often as you should, maybe at first you will, but, eventually you will tire of the hassle.

With a submersible pumps basically all of the heat loss is returned to the water thus heating the tank, with an external pump most of the heat loss goes into the room with only a small fraction returning to the tank. Think of it as a immersion heater you would not remove your heater from the tank and expose it to the room to heat your tank.

Jim

Just wanted to make sure everyone understood what I was saying...

A submersible pump will add the same heat whether its run internally or externally because it is water cooled.

An external will add less heat in general than a submersible.

Just wanted to make sure everyone understood what I was saying...

A submersible pump will add the same heat whether its run internally or externally because it is water cooled.

An external will add less heat in general than a submersible.
that kind of where i was going with what i said....

I have!I built a 2 sided plexi retainer wall about 3" tall in the right rear corner and set the pump in it.Once the tank was filled with sand all you could see is very top of the pump.Less to see that way.I have the rockwork positioned in such a way that all I have to do to service it is lift a few rocks(porites) on top then lift it staight up.Actually you can't see it at all. anyway I modified the large intake of the pump so it would fit a 1" tee tightly and drilled a ton of 1/8" holes in the tee this way it acts as a course prefilter. I used a tee so it would be a larger area and be less of a chance to clogg(which it hasn't yet)Just shut off the pump and it back flushs' it.Then put pipe into the top of the tee up the rear corner along the top side and top front.I tapped that pipe in seven places 1/4"npt and put lock line flow nozzles in.The pipe is held in place with 1/4" slices of larger pvc bent a little on the end with a hole tapped 6/32 just drilled a small clearence hole in the lip and screwed plastic screws.Works great and havn't had to sevice it yet.An would definitly do it again.

Back