Coral prices go up in the past 1-2 years?

MPevine11

my own mini ocean
It's been awhile since I bought coral, went today and looked. Seemed like prices went up quite a bit even for green star polyps (that's what I was looking for)

Any one know where in NH or mass (willing to travel for a nice store) that was well priced coral

Love The Reef in Wilmington has quality corals and is fairly priced.

+1 for Archit

Also oceans in glass in Salem nh right on broadway. Frank, Dave, and Steve are all good guys and have lots of experience in the hobby. Tanks are always super clean and everything is always looking healthy!

I would say both stores are very competitively priced and both are sponsors for the BRS so by all means support them bc they support our site!!

Damnnnn! Forgot about oceans inn glass, I was at jays aquatics that's where I used to get all my corals, not it seems very pricy......

I'm from concord area NH so Salem isn't to bad to travel

Yes corals prices have risen sharply in the last few years.If you think Jay's is pricy then don't bother checking out any other LFS cause you will have a heart attack.Atleast at Jay's you get a nice size colony compare to other where you pay $20-$30 for a dinky little frags

OUr LFS sponsers have a lot of overhead , think about what it takes to run your tanks and multiply that by 100 , then you have to figure employees , stock , food for fish and corals etc etc etc . So I have no problem buying from our sponsers . they are the gateway for new hobbiest , great sources for info and things we can't find . I bought a light I could easilly have gotten elsewhere from one store bought a ton from another . just to try and support them . But by all means we all want to save $$$$$ just don't forget .... those guys are there because we need them and they need us

After the customer service or lack of in most places I'd honestly rather buy dry goods in bulk online and corals from fellow reefers

Yes corals prices have risen sharply in the last few years.If you think Jay's is pricy then don't bother checking out any other LFS cause you will have a heart attack.Atleast at Jay's you get a nice size colony compare to other where you pay $20-$30 for a dinky little frags

This. Jays has really good prices compared to everyone else. And they have been bringing in some nice corals lately.

Love the Reef has the best looking corals.

Last edited:
OUr LFS sponsers have a lot of overhead , think about what it takes to run your tanks and multiply that by 100 , then you have to figure employees , stock , food for fish and corals etc etc etc . So I have no problem buying from our sponsers . they are the gateway for new hobbiest , great sources for info and things we can't find . I bought a light I could easilly have gotten elsewhere from one store bought a ton from another . just to try and support them . But by all means we all want to save $$$$$ just don't forget .... those guys are there because we need them and they need us

+1 to that!

Milk= $5gal it is not just corals

Sooner or later companies have to adjust to what it costs to run a business or go out of business.

I can't remember the last time I bought a coral online. I am lucky to have both Unique and LTR within a 10 min. drive from work, 20 min from my house. Its almost a given that I will stop by at least twice per month at either location whether its for livestock or dry goods. I think it's important to remember that these stores are highly specialized, and are driven by hobbiests. most importantly, the owner's obsession with the hobby is the reason the store exists in the first place.

I'll add that Frag Freaks has a nice selection and are very friendly. Prices fall between independent posts pricing and retail but for quality product.

Check them out... www.fragfreaks.com

I have never been one to spend a lot on coral, but I have purchased a few frags from both Unique and LTR. They both seem to have had several sales/specials lately and I felt I got a good price on what I bought (of coarse this is subjective). I have also bought pieces from fellow members on here with good luck.

Back