Corner Or Regular Internal Overflow?

Nikkoli110

Non-member
I am in the process of upgrading my 29 to a 55 or 60 gallon tank. I want to add an internal overflow box. I saw the AGA megaflow and twinflo systems.

http://www.all-glass.com/products/aquariums/index.html

Is there any reason to get one over the other? I was thinking maybe if I have to get at it, the corner would be easier, but other than that I don't know. Just wondering if anyone has any opinions. Thanks! :)

Nikki, I'm not sure if those overflows are sold separately from the tanks.

One suggestion, though: I would avoid the 55g, it's a very narrow tank, difficult to aquascape and not a lot of surface/swimming area. I don't know the dimensions of the 60g, but if I were you -- and since you're looking at an AGA overflow and the 55g is 48" long -- I'd go directly to a 75g... it's also 48" long, but it's wider and you can get a reef-ready version already drilled and with the overflow. Or if you want a taller tank with the same footprint, then go to a 90g.

Nuno

Believe me, I wanted to get a 75, but the way things happened, I live with my rents and I am lucky I'm getting away with a 55 :rolleyes: (I know even if its only a few inches bigger) I bought a 60 on impluse, then thought I needed a different stand, bought a stand, and then decided the tank wasn't right. So now I'm kind of limited, I have the 55 stand, and I like it. So now I was going to get the 55, and wanted to get it with the overflows. Hopefully thats not too confusing, it was a little messed up. :eek:

I see... well, if you must get the 55g, then I'd suggest the one with the standard corner overflow, because if you get the megaflow (which is on the back of the tank, and pretty deep) you'll be left with very little space.

Nuno

Yea that was what I was thinking, but I was unsure of any other advantages/disadvantages of either of them.

I think the only advantage of the Megaflow is that it's got a larger surface skimming area, just because it's a bigger/wider/deeper box... but in a 55g that's more of a problem than an advantage, IMO.

Nuno

Nikki, the tank doesn't fit on the stand I sold you? I'm sorry about that, if you want, there was another member looking for that same stand, maybe he'll buy it from you.

The twin-flow will take up a lot less room that the mega flows.

Nikki, if you can work it out, get rid of that stand and buy a 65g or other 18" wide tank. It's sooo much easier to work with than a 12" wide tank, and you parents will think it's smaller because it's only 3' long. :)

Adam, The stand I got from you fit the tank well, but when I finally filled the tank up and saw the scratches (which I knew were there), and the silicone inside was flaking and it had a little crack from me trying to move it the other day. The stand is great, has room for the sump I wanted.

I actually just got back from Sea Creature in North Prov. and he said that aga doesn't make the 55 with the corner overflows anymore. So I ordered the 55 with the regular megaflow. Auuh....Just a little confusion there. I'm just trying to get alot of advice to make sure i do things right. I should have just bought the tank new in the first place, saved myself some gas! haha. Thanks for the help tho. I'll be looking for more to set up the sump and plumbing! :eek:

Did you actually see the 55g with the megaflow in person, or did you order it sight unseen? I'm afraid you're going to find it doesn't leave you a lot of useful space to aquascape...

Nuno

Yes I have seen it before, and it does take up a ton of room, but at least its a major improvment from my system now. :)

So I ordered the 55 with the regular megaflow.

DONT DO IT!!!! I'm telling you, you will like it at first because it's better than what you have now, but you will grow to hate it. It's probably the worst size for a reef tank, especially with that overflow. I made that mistake and wish I never started with a 55g. It took me less than a month to find that it was a bad move.

Back