Critter ID? 1.5 years tank setup and first time seeing this

jselzler1

Non-member
Large nudibranch or some kind of flatworm or? It watched this thing for 10 minutes with a flashlight. Couldn't identify any head/tail, antennae. It moved somewhat amoeba like. It one point it seemed to be splitting to go around an object until most of the body mass got to one side of the object, then rest of the mass followed. I look in the tank with flashlight maybe 2 times per week and first time seeing this thing in 1.5 years.

The empty nerite and turbo shells should show the size of this thing. These empty shells have been in that corner for some months.

Here are pics. Work interrupted my post - blah!!!

20140114_014641.jpg20140114_014832.jpg

No damage to corals. Snails have been dying off. I just posted yesterday that I suspected the blue-legged hermits that I added since the snails started dying off afterwards. Now I know the likely real-culprit from what I have just read. Anyone have tips on trapping/removing? Just starting to research it.

Jason

If you get it out before the meeting, bring it with you. That would for sure be a great show and tell. I know I would love to see it.

If you get it out before the meeting, bring it with you. That would for sure be a great show and tell. I know I would love to see it.

Not attending the meeting, Oxford is too far southwest plus I leave on a worktrip Sunday. Need to spend saturday with the family.

I think this flatworm is living in some rock I can easily remove. Only coral on these rock is pulsing xenia, easily replaceable. I plan to dip in bayer advanced mix for some time to see what comes out. I'll add some cured LR back into similar spot instead of original. Don't want to cause a mini-cycle. If this doesn't work will attempt to trap with some clam meat (will probably do this anyways).

The critter is definately the 'leopard spotted polyclad flatworm' in this article. http://www.reefsmagazine.com/forum/reefs-magazine/145120-pest-free-reefkeeping-iii-flatworms.html

I had one in my BC29 about five years ago, could not figure out why I was losing snails until one night I saw it completely engulf a Mexican turbo snail. Sucked it off the snail with a turkey baster, put it in a cup, and flushed it. It totally creeped me out. It was about 3 inches long.

Back