crown of thorns

Armando

v 4.0
wow just watched the discovery channel show about coral-eating starfish crown of thorns. it's like a reef version of a horror movie. sps lovers discretion advised!

I saw that about a month ago. Very interesting but disturbing at the same time.
I was amazed at how much they consume in a day.

Here is a interesting article
http://www.tellusconsultants.com/Thread/ACANTH.HTM

A hungry starfish climbs up on a coral and pulls its stomach out of its mouth with its tube feet. The starfish has thousands of these flexible tube feet, each ending with a little suction cup. The feet pass the stomach from one to the next until the big yellow stomach is spread out over the coral. Then the stomach slooshes the live coral with digestive juices. The cells of the stomach scoff up the bits of dissolving coral. When the starfish has cleaned the coral right back to the white calcium carbonate skeleton, it sucks in its stomach and walks off, using those tube feet.

I think the story of the triton is particularly sad :(

This has been a really terrible problem. The link above says that the triton is not in the list of endagered species, which is a pity. I guess their numbers are not that low for us to be concerned. If this is true, it is interesting our criteria for becoming worried about a species.

Wow, now I am really really sad about the Triton :( :( :(

All they need is a bigger fuge to take up those extra nitrates.... then the starfish larva would have nothing to eat. It's all about tank conditions!

It's sad that we humans can foul the planet so badly.

M.

Back