Deep sand bed

dz6t

Acro Garden, BRS Sponsor
BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
Is Deep Sand Bed still in or already out? Thanks

not sure ,I belive thier are still mixed reviews.

I use a dsb in my fuse only, easyer to remove if I ever need to.

According to Calfo in his lecture this weekend, any substrate is ok. It depends on what you want for pods. Different substrates will provide better conditions for different pods. I'm beat right now, just drove back from the show, but I hope to be able to remember what he said each option was good for sometime (after a few cups of coffee) tomorrow.

Take the MACNA dvd out of the library about dsb vs plenums (I have it right now). Some good info and test results.

dz6t said:

IMO people are getting away from the DSB, but not for the right reasons.

Most of all DSB's are being blamed for tank crashes. Out of all the tank crashing DSB threads I have read I would say 10% are actually the DSB and the rest improper tank maintenance. A lot of these people are crashing tanks after a year or two wich is way too short of a life span for a properly maintained tank...

IMO don't follow the fads follow what works for you

My DSB is over a year old, and going strong. It is infested with spaghetti worms though. There are lots of tunnels and critters in it also.

Damn Dong what's up with the "Is this 'In'? " questions...seahorses, now DSBs? What's the matter....do you only hang with the in crowd? What about the rest of us losers? ;)

dsb is in, according to many of the speakers at LIRA 05. Once interesting thing is you can get the dsb benefits w/o have the dsb in your main tank. no one says it has to be internal!

What about all the talk about having to have a large DSB? A lot of the threads I have read about sumps and fuges always mention that the smaller ones may not provide enough DSB. Did they talk specifically about having a DSB is a 5 gallon bucket? And if so can you expand on that. Thanks!

Anthony Scavo specificly mentioned a sand bed in a 5 gallon bucket, he said fill it but for 2-3 inches at the top and your input on one side of the bucket and drain on the other so it flows across the top. of the sand. Maybe a few others that saw the talk can remember a little more about it, but the purpose was to bring nitrates down and to say you dont have to do it with a dsp in the main display tank...you can do it external...

I have a headache each time i read a thread about dsb.
I just gonna go ahead and get rid of it this summer no matter what. Not that its bad, its been working great for me over a year. I want more flow! and not have a sandstorm, and not having to blast my acros with a turkey baster to get the sand off.

DSB, SSB, plenums, bare bottom, etc, they're all very "experimental", in the sense that although the science behind it will say that it works in one way or another, in real life and in a dynamic system like a reef tank things are not so simple... but it's not experimental in a scientific sense, because there are no controls and no two tanks are alike... thus the fads that come and go, as new generations of reefers don't remember what has already been tried before (I believe "bare bottom" fits into this category).

Something that I read the other day as an explanation for bare bottom tanks was that "the reef heads where SPS corals live don't have sand, they're at the top of the reef"... that got me thinking, and an interesting idea that I may try in the future if (when? ;)) I set up a larger tank is to go with a "bare bottom" but made of rock... ie, I'd cover the entire tank bottom with rock (probably glued/epoxyed to starboard or some other material), and then build vertically upon that... it would have *very* high flow to prevent detritus from accumulating on the bottom (would need even more flow than a regular bare bottom, because of the nooks and crannies in rock on the bottom)... it would be a DRB - Deep Rock Bed :D (can you tell I really don't like the typical bare bottom look?)

Nuno

For what is worth, Anthony Calfo said deep sand beds have been around longer than probably any of us have been in the hobby, He credits Julian Sprung (over 15 years ago) with really figuring this thing to out, so call it a "fad" but it is not a new one...

CamaroJWeed said:
so call it a "fad" but it is not a new one...

That was exactly my point above... apparently the same solutions just keep getting rehashed, moving in and out of "fashion" as new people enter the hobby and want to try something "new".

Nuno

I'm on 4 years with a remote DSB (6") and 4" in the display. No issues yet. I believe that if your system (and sand bed) are maintained well then you should not have problems. People are quick to go on a witch hunt for things that they think has caused problems in their system. IE: Old DSB=Hair algae etc.

Like bellbottoms, DSB's are a fad to some degree. However bare-bottom starboard reefs are the new hot item, especially for SPS nuts. Best thing to do is go around and meet some people who have had DSB's for a long while and formulate your own opinions.

One last thing to note is that I feed sparingly as compared to other reefers.

Anthony Scavo huh??? hehehe

Back