Dry water change

Jamba

Non-member
Hi Fish Fans

I am wondering, who has figured out how to do water changes without getting water everywhere. My tank is in the kitchen, which is a good things as the water tends to get spread around. What is your secret?

J

I use a Python hose (attaches to the sink faucet) to drain the sump, the tank water is sucked from the sump and goes directly into the sink drain; to refill the sump, I then put a powerhead inside the container that has the new water (a Brute 20g trashcan), with some plastic tubing attached, and put the other end into the sump... no water on the floor.

Btw, for those who may not know, this is the Python: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3910

Nuno

I use a wet dry vac(used exclusively for the tank of course), to remove the water in the sump, then a ph to fill up again.

She was Tank of the Month winner (TOTM) for March....info on her system can be found here: http://216.235.242.50/totm/

I believe she did a presentation at the last meeting. I wasn't there, though. :( Someone else who attended may be able to give you more specifics

Should be a description in that TOTM write-up.

Basically she has two 55 gallon plastic barrels. She fills one with RODI, dumps in salt, and mixes it with an external pump that sucks water out a bulkhead at the bottom and dumps back into the top. When it's time to do the change, she opens a valve that diverts her return pump flow into the second 55g barrel (the waste barrel). Then by turning a valve, the mag pump that is mixing the new water is diverted to pump water out of the bottom of the fresh barrel, into the sump. When that's done, she turns another valve to use the same mixing pump to empty the waste water into the sewer drain. Very slick.

Nate

Wet dry... *nodding* Ticks off my mysid population, but heck... ya gots ta do what ya gots ta do?! I wet dry my sump and fill back to the fill line with fresh IO w/ RO/DI.

Dave

I use 5 gallon HD buckets and store them in the basement and bring them up as needed for water changes I use a Mag3 (taht is the only thing this pump is used for)with some tubing to both remove water and add new water I fill up a old Instant Ocean buck with the old tank water and then when it is full unplug the pump. Dump and repeat until I have removed the amount I want. Then as far as adding new water to the tank I put the Mag in my bucket and point the hose into some sponge to avoid stirring up to much and continue on to the next bucket. A side note I also got one of those blue tarps it is about 5x8ft and I keep that inside the stand and when every I do any work on the tank other than glass cleaning I pull that out before I start and even if you spill water it will sit there and allow you to wipe it up.

Speaking of "dry water" change, you can get some of that powedered water... then you just need to add water... oh, wait, somehow that might not work :D :rolleyes:

Nuno

Dry water

Yea...I was thinking it would be great to have some dehydrated water. It is pretty convenient, as you can carry it around pretty easlily (pretty light stuff), and then whenever you need some water you just mix up the dehyrated water powder with some H2O and there you go. Easy as pie.

The only problem is when you mix the powder with the H2O things tend to get wet.

:D

I put a tee in my return line that I have a ball valve and a length of hose on before another ball valve futher up the line. When I do changes I shut off my return pump and let the water drain into my sump when it is done I close the valve between the sump and the main tank and then put the hose in a 5gal bucket open the other valve and turn the pump back on. To refill there is enough room under my stand to just slowly pour the new directly in from another 5 gal bucket. never spill a drop

Back