dumbest mistake ever

Wunluv82

Non-member
So we do all the plumbing, get all the sand and rock, and make our own sump for our 90 gallon tank. Then we get all excited and completely fill it with salt and all and guess what? It leaks!!! I am so dumb for not checking for leaks before all this. And what a bummer. Just drained it to let it dry. Any advice on resiliconing it?? I want, no NEED, to do this right. Its 2 of the bottom corners that seem to be leaking. :(

can you give a few details on the sump? glass? acrylic? what did you use to put it together, etc. ?

God I only wish it was the sump leaking. But its the main tank! It sat unused for about 7 years in my basement and I guess that made the silicone weak?

Sitting dry for that amount of time after being wet is the problem..the silicone shrinks over time when it goes dry from being wet.......I would guess frow where you say it was leaking...it's from the weight of the glass...seals on the lower part of the tank have popped...unless you plan to rip all the old silicone out & clean it right I would not trust it...(it's actually more work than probably what the tank is worth...) what size is it?

Its 90 gallons and I've never had water in it before. Only a snake. I don't mind buying a new one. We just put alot of effort and money into having the holes drilled and sealing the plumbing. So I was hoping we could save this one instead of starting all over again.

Like others have said id just get a new one. Im guessing that u were using heat lamps right? That dries out the silicone big time. A 90 gal is pretty inexpensive and you'll have piece of mind that your all set for years to come as far as leaks.

::sigh:: so much work down the drain. We were so close! Thanks for the advice. I think we will start over. Just so hard to get the tank drilled again and all that. Such a bummer! Live and learn.

You should ask around the forum there may be someone around you that can drill it for you or at least help you drill it.

I'm in Manchester nh. I brought my tank to Jays aquatics in Salem but I hafta borrow a truck and wait for a day off to bring a new tank back again u know? Damn I was just all excited thought we were ready to get this tank goin. Booooo

Alot of people have purchased the bits themselves maybe someone near u can come drill it for u. Can't hurt to ask. Create a post asking

Purchase a new tank at Jays and have him drill it before you pick it up :)

Also ask on the forum. I'm sure someone here has a truck that could help you out.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Gonna hafta find a new one. Well a new used one hopefully. So its not so expensive. My boyfriend just tried siliconing the leaking corners and its drying now. But I really don't trust that it wont start leaking again months down the line once the tank is all established and everything. I keep telling myself the more work and money now means less later. :)

Thanks for all the advice guys. Gonna hafta find a new one. Well a new used one hopefully. So its not so expensive. My boyfriend just tried siliconing the leaking corners and its drying now. But I really don't trust that it wont start leaking again months down the line once the tank is all established and everything. I keep telling myself the more work and money now means less later. :)

If the glass shifted, it will leak again. Be careful.

Back