Easy beginner coral?

Marie

Non-member
Just starting out..
Is there a nice cheap easy coral to start with?

I have a 56g column and just purchased a LED light from a reefer here. :)

There are quite a few cheap easy corals. But, I would decide where I want to go with my tank first as many beginner corals become invasive and difficult to remove if you decide to. But in answer to your question,

Kenya trees
Anthelia
Xenia
A lot of different mushrooms
Star polyps

If you are looking for any of these, Frank180reef and dz6t on this forum always have them available.

Tank has been running for 6 weeks, params look good. Just got an Ro/Di. Plan on mixing a batch tonight and doing a big water change tomorrow(original water is city water w/ seachem prime, yuck)
Don't know enough about corals to know which direction to go in. Want a pretty tank, colorful... cool to watch, learning experience for the kiddos.
I'd like a BTA eventually also..

and a few cool fish- like a pr of clowns and a couple other things...

Where ya located? A lot of us can hook ya up with stuff we need to trim anyways

Marie, a little frag of Kenya Tree or Pulsing Xenia would be good to start with; cheap and hearty. You can find frags of both here for $5-10 or sometimes even free.

As mentioned though they can become a nuisance if not managed appropriately. You can just keep the frag(s) away from your main rock-work and you'll probably be ok. I kept my Kenya and Xenia on small(er) pieces of rock and kept them a couple inches away from my main rock work. In the ~1 year I had my tank running only one little piece of Xenia ever made it to my main rock-work.

I have a bunch of nice easy softie stuff for cheap (and free) that you could have. Where are you located?

I'm in Paxton, just outside of Worcester. Thanks everyone. There is just so much to learn!

If you want to swing by I can give you some candy cane and hammer. The only condition is pay your membership dues and support the club.
Then, you can swing by s_kelley down in East Tauton. :)

For beginner and easy grow coral

Just ask a few folks in here to hook you up. Do not buy them and do not pay to get them. I am sure people in here are generous enough to help out
I have some Xenia that you can have whenever you happen to be near my laundromat shop in Lawrence

Last edited:
Back