Eheim 1260 as return on a 90gal?

Zackb911

Non-member
I am looking for a low wattage quiet return pump for my 90 gallon with 30 gallon sump/fuge. I have heard a lot of good things about them, will this suffice?
Eheim 1260 Universal Pump:

Pump Output: 635 gph
Delivery Head: 12`1"
Power Consumption: 65 W (115V)
Hose Connection (Suction Side): 1"
Hose Connection (Pressure Side): 3/4"
Dimensions: 8.6" x 4.6" x 6.3"
Weight: 6.0 lbs

My Iwaki is a pressure rated pump and is dialed back a fair amount so it seems overkill for me. If so anyone happen to have one for sale?

Zack

Last edited:
Just 3 1/2 feet and I would use flexible hose so only one 90* turn as it comes out of the return. I know it isn't fast for return but i think compared to the Iwaki being dialed back, this may be just about right to run full force and save 50watts as well. I would either put my other seio 1500 in the tank to increase flow or use an MJ11200 and get the maxistream mod. This would give me even more flow and still use less energy.

I was also thinking an Iwaki WMD-20RLXT
Model: WMD20RLXT*BR>Inlet(MPT)/Outlet(MPT): 1"/1"
Flow Rate @ 4` Head: 540 GPH
Max Head ft: 8.2

same price as the Eheim I believe, but I do not know the power consumption or noise level

Zack

Last edited:
The Iwaki will be a little louder I believe, typically you just hear the fan on the japanese Iwaki's. I looked for a flow chart to see what the flow would be at that head pressure, but the flow chart I found for that model isn't scaled or plotted properly. Tough to give an opinion without knowing what type of flow you would be getting.
http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_pumps_eheim_universal_hobby_powerheads_information.asp#1260_1262

I also looked on the box for my 1250 downstairs but it doesn't show higher models.

It looks like the Iwaki and Eheim 1260 would be fairly comperable on power (55-65w) and flow(500-550 @4ft of head). I can hear my MD-40RLT pump running, fan noise, and was hoping to lose the noise. Do the american made Iwaki's have the same noise? Are the Eheims silent?

Eheim's are very quiet, I have one as my recirculating pump on my calcium reactor and run it external. The american made Iwaki's are louder from what I hear but haven't heard one in person. I like PanWorld external pumps, they are the same as the Japanese Iwaki's made by the same designer but a cheaper pricetag.

How quiet are the panworld's? In particular the 40xp(comperable to Iwaki 20), my japanese 40 is louder than I like...With the tank and sump in my living room I think running the Eheim in the sump may be my best bet, does anyone object to the Eheim 1260's suitability?

Last edited:
I use the 1262 in sump for my return and have been very happy with the amount of flow and it is virtually silent. Beside the fact they make a very reliable product.

Go with the Eheim...

The Iwaki is like a nice honda civic...very reliable

The eheim is like a high end BMW, precision tuned, well made.

Back