Electrical advice

FishyIdea

Non-member
My 90 project has been stalled by an electrical supply problem. There is a lot of development on my street in downtown Lowell and we are in need of a new transformer from Mass Electric. However, the contract Mass Electric has with Lowell says they can dip the electricity by 10%. So, whenever someone uses the elevator or a heavy construction tool, all the lights dim for a couple of seconds.

These dips are bad for certain kinds of equipment, like compressors.

Are these dips likely to cause failures of aquarium equpiment?

Is there anything I can do to mitigate this?

Can I safely ignore the issue and proceed with setting up my tank?

Thanks,
Joe

A good UPS power supply can stabilize the voltage during spikes and dips. But it is an expensive solution.

In laymans terms.....It really won't hurt any equipment that aquarists use. Powerheads, pumps, heaters, etc... All small items in the big scheme of things.

When the lights dim it is basically due to a high load on the circuit. LARGE motors (elevator motors, big power tools) draw alot of amperage, and do so when they first start. Motors use up too 300% more power during the startup (a few seconds).

Fine, delicate electronics would be more concerning with any type of power fluctions.

Our little motors and lights (which is mostly what we use) can take a licking and keep on "working" with no ill effect.

It the electric company doesnt get the main lines balanced to handle the load, the fuses on their end will blow long before yours will. Its just the infrastructure hasn't kept up with the demand.....why???? The basic cutbacks....Do/Use more with less.

Back