Elos or Aquamedic or Giesemann

Britrover

Non-member
I am in the market for a lighting fixture for my 120 gallon. Considering I?ve been out of the hobby for a while just trying to get thoughts from folks who keep up with the latest for lighting.

I?m trying to decide between the Aquamedic 48? 150 HQI with T5?s or Florescent, Giesemann 230 Eco plus 150 HQI with T5?s or the Elos planet II with 2x150 and 4-39w t5's

From the little research I?ve done Aquamedic?s are now made in China and have had some quality issues. Giesemann and Elos is still European made but I don?t know much about them.

Giesemann, Aquamedic and Elos owners give me your thoughts and help me pull the trigger on the right unit for my tank.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

If I could swing the $$ I would buy the Elos in a heartbeat. I have the Aquamedic 2 x 250 w/ T5's. I've seen the Elos over at CRA and have been watchin the progression as they are right down the street. It's sharp and the growth/color they are getting in that SPS tank is incredible. Great shimmer and light penetration IMO. I don't know what configuration it is.

The Elos is fixture is just a little bit more than the Giesemann....I've heard Giesemann is pulling out of the U.S so am leaning more towards Elos ....probably need to see one in person or look at some pictures now

i have been very happy with aquamedic in the past, i have one now and plan on buying another. hows NC? I guess they are selling off the marlboro buildings, they want to move Nicole to NH, shes not happy. She has an interview with a diffrent dept on monday. Back to the point if i remember you had a very nice Giesemann before, and your tank had no canopy, will you be doing this again? what about a retro and a canopy?

Yes I'm doing the same set up again with the open canopy but with the Eheim 120 gallon tank. As much as I miss NE the move to NC has been the best decision...........love it here and the winters are mild so I can ride my bike all year. Plenty of really nice Reef/Fish Stores here as well.

Do you have the newer Aquamedic or the old German one's ?

I have the giesemann 230 plus, 24" 150hqi with 2 t5s. Its an awesome light, never have to worry about it. The giesemann bulbs are obviously very nice, but I've heard Elos bulbs are also quite impressive and similar Kelvin. The Elos light and the 2 extra T5s are mighty nice, though. I think Giesemann has a new hqi pendant with 4 t5s now...saw it at premium aquatics I think?

The new aquamedic lights are made in china, and I"ve fixed at least 30 of them in the last 18 months or so. I won't sell them anymore. We love our Elos light, fwiw. The one giessemann light we had in the shop had 2 ballast failures in the first year, I was not impressed... I think they are over-valued, at least what gets on this side of the pond. The light bulbs are relabled BLV, the ballasts were cheap metro-ballast electronics, and the reflectors were not any better than something SLS would sell. Maybe the current models are better, but I wouldn't go back to them with their history in this country. Right now, we are doing current usa for the kia model, sunlight supply for the chevy, and elos for the BMW.

I've got a geissman (well, abbey does) Nova 250w DE pendant, and I honestly think the Aquamedic units are much nicer.

Attachments

• SF_Soleset_2.jpg
    SF_Soleset_2.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 162
Back