Epoxy instead of silicone to seal tank?

danzig

BRS Member
I just bought a 54 gallon corner tank and one verticle corner where the bow meets the side panel had ripped up black silicone. I was just wondering if its possible to cut the old silicone out and use clear epoxy instead of resealing it with silicone. Has anyone done this? I wouldnt do it with a big tank but this is only 54 gallons so wanted to see what peoples thoughts were on the issue.

Do it right, use silicone.

You're talking about the inner bead, not the structural seam in between the glass, correct?

I don't know much about the bonding qualities of epoxy to glass, but I have seen epoxy used in a glass tank that became very discolored and looked hideous. Moreover, if epoxy bonded well with glass then why are all glass tanks built using silicone? Is there a reason you would not want to use silicone?

Well if i use silicone i have to re do the whole tank correct? Because if i just redo one section, that section wont seal to the top or bottom sections. Silicone doesnt stick to dry silicone

I put a custom drilled bottom on my 92 corner bowfront almost 5 years ago. I did not redo any of the other seams and it has been fine since (knock on wood).

Well if i use silicone i have to re do the whole tank correct? Because if i just redo one section, that section wont seal to the top or bottom sections. Silicone doesnt stick to dry silicone

Is the bead inside the tank, or the silicone that's actually between the glass panes? The inner bead is there to protect the structural seam in between the glass. If the structural seam is damaged then the pane needs to come out and the tank partially or completely rebuilt. If it's the inner bead, that can be carefully sliced out, the glass thouroughly cleaned, and the bead replaced (the silicone will stick properly to the glass which will seal the structural seam from the water).

Whatever the case, if fixing it with the right adhesive might necessitate partially or completely rebuilding the tank, why would using the wrong adhesive work better?

Try asking in the RC DIY forum, I'm sure there is someone there who knows some specifics on epoxy bonding to glass....

oh its just the inner bead, not the stuff between where the glass panes meet at the corner. I get your point though this is one situation where being a hack isnt going to work lol thanks john

Back