Even too much for dz's hardy corals: Accident: high alk, low pH SPS bleaching

Matt W

Chemist
BRS Member
I had a dosing accident on Sunday morning. I first noticed the accident when I saw all these little brittle stars riding the flow in my tank. Then fish near death and coral sliming and subsequent bleaching. All of my nice sps from dzt6, like the idhado grape cap were doing great and I just picked up a dozen beatiful frags from Mike G. Bummer. :mad:

Prior to the accident my water specs: pH 8.0-8.2, alk 8.4, ca 390, mg 1280.

Initial water testing showed pH 6.5, alk > 14, ca 440,
What I mixed up and added accidentally is another discussion...

Within an hour of the addition error, I performed a 20% wc. Another 20% wc 3 hours later.

This afternoon, about 36h later my pH is 7.8, alk 13 dKH, cal 440 and Mg 1280.

This evening I plan to perform a 40% wc. Suggestions?

A lot of the sps still have their polyps extended. Is that a good sign that despite expulsion or loss of algal pigmentation that my corals still have a chance?

pre frags bleaching.jpegpost frags bleaching.jpegpost right bleaching.jpeg

I would do a 100% water change right away. If their polyps are still extened, they have a chance to live.

it's better then nothing but with SPS you need to wait at least a week to really see what the effects were. Unlike LPS, they unfortunately don't bounce back quite as easy. good luck!

My girlfriend said it well when I was upset over this "even chemists make addition errors" I guess I need to get back into the lab more :)

I have enough to do a 60% wc tonight - so that is what i will go with

Hopefully that will be bring me back into normal specifications.
interestingly, lps and softies largely seem unaffected.

One thing that came to mind, during this period I would guess that I would not want to blast my injured corals with light and therefore should probably dial back my intensity?

Last edited:
I've had a few tank crashes and the LPS are always what survive. I would keep the sps out of flow and on the sand bed if possible. Give the tissue some time to take hold and not get blown off by the current.

Chances are if you have a birds nest coral in there,it's gone.
They seem to die at the drop of a hat if alk climbs too high.

Damn, Yeah indeed the birdsnest looks the worst. Sad, it was doing really well and looked pretty. Still bummed.

Yup,I've lost both pink and green birds nest just from a 2-3 dkh increase in a day.
Do you dose for PH?If you do.........don't.
All that will do is raise your Alk too high.It's best to just keep alk in check and let PH fall where it will.

if i may ask, how exactly did you overdose so much? was it just a calculation error when setting up your dosing reservoirs or something?

the thing i find interesting is the ph. i didn't know salt water could get that low. how is that even possible with an alk of 14, unless there's an obscene amount of co2 in the water.

anyway, good luck man, that really sucks. agree with the other suggestions, and like you i think it couldn't hurt to dim the lights a bit

if i may ask, how exactly did you overdose so much? was it just a calculation error when setting up your dosing reservoirs or something?

the thing i find interesting is the ph. i didn't know salt water could get that low. how is that even possible with an alk of 14, unless there's an obscene amount of co2 in the water.

anyway, good luck man, that really sucks. agree with the other suggestions, and like you i think it couldn't hurt to dim the lights a bit

second that...was wondering the same thing.

Third that. Believe me, I was surprised too.

When the pH read 6.5 I was confused. I checked the probe with ph 9 standard and it was fine. There was a lot of gas and bubbles as well.

A little preface, No ATO yet, as I am waiting for tunz new nano osmo coming out in JUL/AUG. So I have been adding 2x 500ml kalk/day (0.5% total tank vol.).
Right before the accident, I just finished installing two peristaltic pumps for 2 part and was going to do a pre maintenance dosing adjustment.
I mixed up a beaker of what I thought was kalk top off, with CaCl2 2H2O (9g in 300 ml; intended for slow addition). Now I thought I added Ca Sln, but based on the chemistry observed, it points to the addition of 9 g NaHCO3, which would raise the alk to around 14 and possibly decrease the pH that far. I find that unlikely as the bottle was on a different shelf and I dont "recall" using it. On the other hand, I can not explain the chemistry with the simple quick addition of CaCl2, which would account for a 390 to 430 raise in Ca. Unless I am missing some carbonate chemistry there.

Not sure... chemistry is only a little high KH now at 11.5. I am going to do another 20% wc and change out carbon tonight. Also dosed 1/2 dose prime in case of some ammonia although test showed none this morning.

Back