fairy wrasse reef safe?

petesreef

petesreef
I recently added a fairy wrasse to my tank and today saw the fish picking at some of my zoos. I had thought this fish was supposed to be reef safe. Any thoughts on whether this was just feeling out the territory or do I need to get rid of this fish?

IMO they are all "reef safe", but they are Wrasses :) I have witnessed the Labouti Fairy Wrasse in our show tank rip at Zoanthids before. And there are some in there it has never touched.
As for a relative, I had a Six Line Wrasse for over 5 years in one of my tanks,. Then one day out of nowhere I caught him hitting my Elegance Coral. I mean like really hitting it. To the point it would shrink and start to close up, often causing it to excrete something from the oral discs! Then the Six Line would swim over and gobble up what came out!! What's up wit dat???? I thought Six Line Wrasse are "reef safe" :) lol
"Reef safe" is a very funny term, considering all the animals we put in our tanks come from the Reef ;)

Solorensis are usually great reef tank fish. There can be exceptions to every rule. I would just keep an eye on him, if he continues either remove what he is going after. Or if you have to remove the Wrasse. I would try and wait it out, hopefully it was just a flike, or the Wrasse saw something he liked in the zoos.

Nice fish, Pete.
A quick question for you: was the wrasse picking at the zoanthids, or picking around the zoanthids?
I have two yellow coris wrasses that hunt for 'pods and other small inverts all day long. They circle my zoanthids and my small toadstool, and dart in between to snatch a bit of food. Sometimes it looks like they're picking on the zoos, but I think they're just nailing some 'pods.

I have one and am having good luck with it, its actually the least agressive fish in the tank...sometimes a chromis chases it around.

Back