Feather Duster on the move

NateHanson

Non-member
I've had a feather duster in my tank for about a month, and lately it wasn't opening as fully. This morning it's open, but it's lying on the sand outside it's tube. Looks healthy, moving a little, just not sure where he's going or why.

I'd assume this means I pissed him off somehow with his placement. Can he be saved? Will he find a happier home somewhere else? Or is he headed for the great big worm-tube in the sky?

Nate

Don't trash him yet, they can move out and build a new home, but it is generally a very bad sign.

What conditions would piss this guy off? Too much flow? Something picking on it?

Hmm. My sea hare got stuck in a Seio yesterday, I wonder if that event did something to the worm. Everything else in the tank looks happy and polyped out.

Nate, is the worm itself out or did it pop its top? If it is the top, it will grow back another. They don't usually leave the tube....and it is some kind of stress. It is not a good sign if the worm is next to the tube. Good luck...

Not good Nate. Typically, the worm "blows its top" when it is stressed. They usually grow back (and even more beautiful in my experience). When the worm ditches its tube, it means that it is not stoked with its placement. The soft dusters actually GLUE themselves into rock or substrate and can't move once they do.

Either a change in flow, or some irritant has made it decide to move. Hopefully, it will begin to paper mache itself a new tube. Otherwise, it may just be the beginning of the end.

Best of luck,

Dave

About 3-4 weeks ago I got him from James Keary when he broke down his tank, and it seemed happy but suddenly bailed yesterday. I'm guessing that it was unhappy from the move, and my placement, and finally gave up on it? Or maybe when I turned off a seio yesterday (to allow the sea hare to get his foot out of the intakes) the decrease in flow freaked out the worm? Should I direct the worm under a rock so it can get cozy, or just let it be?

Nate

I'd either find a crevace for it, or try to cover it with sand. If you cover it with sand, it will make a fast and crude tube out of the sand particles.

If it is in rock, it should begin to make it's own tube with larger particles it captures with the feathers/tentacles. Obviously this is a slower process. Personally, I'd try to cover the body with sand for immediate protection, leaving the cap out.

Again, good luck,

Dave

Thanks dave. I'm new to these creatures, so I'm happy to get some advice. I'll bury the body of the worm.

Nate, can you take a picture of the worm? I like to see what it looks like. Thanks

I had a similar experience with my coco worm about two months ago - where the head looked like it had been chopped off and what remained was torn and shriveling. I suspect the culprit was a big zebra hermit I had in my display (since moved to a smaller nano), but just in case I moved my coco to my fuge. Ever since that move, it's looked as healthy as ever! :D

Attachments

• CocoWorm070705.jpg
    CocoWorm070705.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 186
No such luck for mine. I tried burying it in the sand, but it kept wriggling to the top, and the crabs started eating it in no time. All that's left now is the top. It shows up each day stuck in another coral. Kinda spooky actually. :)

Petco has feather duster for $7.99 a pop. Good deal.

Back