Fenbendazole to kill Xenia

jamesdong009

Anthony
Just wondering if anyone has tried this.

Since my tanks have been on auto-pilot the last several months, xenia and anthelia have taken over my display. I tried manual removal but they're just everywhere.

So I've been reading up on xenia removal and have read that using fluke tabs can eliminate xenia and other invasive soft corals. Unfortunately Fluke Tabs are nearly impossible to find so I'm going to Safe Guard instead.

I've got plenty of saltwater and carbon on hand just in case anything happens. I plan on taking my carbon and skimmer offline for three days and then doing a 25% water change after that.

Hope this works and I'll keep everyone posted.

Shoot dam memory, Google alkalinity and xania. I had someone come gets some of mine years ago, he said he uses them to monitor the alk in the tank. Just not sure if high or low kills them off. Hopefully the person reads this post.

How many mg per gallon are you going to use, curious...

This is what I'll be following:

Preparation: Grind a 1 gram packet of Fenbendazole into very fine powder (I used Safe-Guard) and mix into 1 gallon of water. This will make 221ml of Fenbendazole.

Dosage: Recommend dosage is .01-.02 ml per gallon (1 gallon of prepared Fenbendazole per 100 gallons). I used only half the dosage to treatment my 75 DT + 25 sump.

Taken from this Max Draco

http://maxdraco.wordpress.com/2013/...ue-cloves-polyps-xenia-aiptasia-hydriods-etc/

Shoot dam memory, Google alkalinity and xania. I had someone come gets some of mine years ago, he said he uses them to monitor the alk in the tank. Just not sure if high or low kills them off. Hopefully the person reads this post.

I think that might be alkalinity instability or high alkalinity. It's been awhile but I know what you mean. Unfortunately I keep my alkalinity on the low side because of dosing.

file fish works best...they are dosile... they don't get harassed by tank mates( mine was introduced last with 3 large surgeon fish and never got bothered) and they eat frozen Mysis/brine once all aptasia are gone. Only thing is they take a while to start eating them but once they do they eradicate all of them...I had hundreds now I have not a single one.

I didn't notice till now that I responded to the wrong thread...lol....sry....my file fish DOES NOT eat my xenia or anthelia....actually just sits inside the bushes hiding.

BRS members rock!

I was able to score some fluke tabs off a member and am in the process of treating my tank. Will keep everyone posted on the progress.

My file fish pretty much wiped mine out after the aptasia were gone

Yeah, I had a file fish but he touched none of the aptasia or xenia so back he went. I was getting paranoid that he would touch my LPS so I had to get rid of him.

Is it pulsing xenia? If so I will take some from you

Sorry already dosed the tank. I do have some isolated in my frag tank that I could scrape off if you're going to the meeting.

Just a quick update. I added the fluke tab on Saturday and it looks like the xenia and anthelia are on their way out. I did remove my leathers before dosing because I've read they could be adversely affected but everything else seems to be normal.

I'm going to give it another day or two and then perform some water changes and get my skimmer going again.

All that xenia means your water quality is good, and you throw chemicals in there?
A little patience, and scissors would have done it.

Xenia will be the first thing to die when the water quality is not good.

IME, xenia can live through anything. My birdsnests are usually my canaries when something's wrong. The tank was so full of xenia that I would've had to remove every rock and literally scrape it off. Otherwise any bit left would just regrow.

FWIW, I did try cutting as much xenia with razor blades before doing this step.

Last edited:
All that xenia means your water quality is good, and you throw chemicals in there?
A little patience, and scissors would have done it.

Xenia will be the first thing to die when the water quality is not good.

Yeah, I have to disagree with you buddy :). Xenia usually means nutrients in the water.

When ur tank water is polished of nutrients, Xenias will whither away and disappear. My current tank is fairly new (only 5 months) and I have some in it. But in my previous tank they all died once I got my nutrients in check...

I have also read that it could be a lack of iodine in the water column. They don't do good with it.

Higor
Sent from my Galaxy S4

Last edited:
Yeah, I have to disagree with you buddy :). Xenia usually means nutrients in the water.

When ur tank water is polished of nutrients, Xenias will whither away and disappear. My current tank is fairly new (only 5 months) and I have some in it. But in my previous tank they all died once I got my nutrients in check...

I have also read that it could be a lack of iodine in the water column. They don't do good with it.

Higor
Sent from my Galaxy S4
The only time I ever lost pulsing xenias is when my alk crashed. I didn't know what the issue was, until I lost a leather coral abd a pipe organ the week after. Then I realized my alk and cal were all messed up.

First thing to die is usually pulsing xenia. Other corals follow.

The only time I ever lost pulsing xenias is when my alk crashed. I didn't know what the issue was, until I lost a leather coral abd a pipe organ the week after. Then I realized my alk and cal were all messed up.

First thing to die is usually pulsing xenia. Other corals follow.

There could have been some other factor in the works, Xenias are usually resilient... they usually don't go too easily in my experience. Maybe be the Alk swing killed it. Alk can have weird affect in corals. Sometimes it wipes out corals, sometimes it just pisses then off.

Xenia is definitely a coral that thrives in a nutrient rich environment though... not doubting u or saying ur wrong. Most times there are more than one explanation in this hobby! ;)

Higor

Sent from my Galaxy S4

I've cut xenia, scraped xenia and the only thing that can kill it is my xenia.

There could have been some other factor in the works, Xenias are usually resilient... they usually don't go too easily in my experience. Maybe be the Alk swing killed it. Alk can have weird affect in corals. Sometimes it wipes out corals, sometimes it just pisses then off.

Xenia is definitely a coral that thrives in a nutrient rich environment though... not doubting u or saying ur wrong. Most times there are more than one explanation in this hobby! ;)

Higor

Sent from my Galaxy S4
I understand what you are saying, and yes, it could have been something else.

There is one type of Xenia that is extremely annoying, I think it is called waving hand, they are realy long.
I have it all over my glass, and thst is cool, but some got on a rock and it is extremely hard to get rid of. I ended up glueing a couple of frags over it.

Back