fish only tank

mako

Non-member
Hi Everyone. This is my first post on this forum or this site for that matter. I'm so glad I ran into this site, it seems great and the fact that it is local makes it even better. My question is this I wanted to know if anyone has a Fluval 405 canister filter and how they like it. My thoughts are to set up a 45 gal fish only tank with live rock and a live sand bed. I know the issues with canisters that are not maintained causing water quality issues but i want a filter that will allow the tank to be very close to the wall (so no HOB). I do not want to go sump. My question is do people think the 405 is a good filter and if not which canister to the like better and do you think that a 45 set up with live rock/sand the 405 and one or two powerheads( thinking of the korilina #2's) would be good for a fish only set up. Thanks for the input and again I'm so glad I found this site.

Welcome to the BRS. A fish only tank with a 405 should be fine. You might consider a skimmer as well. It would be a big help.

the eheims are better than the fluvals. My fluval 404 has the tendency to leak. But then again it's for my turtles so it might have to do with the really heavy load. Oh yeah welcome to the forums!

Last edited:
fish only

Thanks for the input i will look into a skimmer as well. also I had heard that the eheims were very good but if you ever needed parts they were had to come by plus I understand the 405 and the 05 verions of fluvals in general had some improvements made? I will however look into the Eheims. Anyone else have any history with the 405. Also I am thinking of the korilina powerheads The number 2 version. Do you think one or two of them for a 45 with a canister. Thanks John

Eheim parts are easily found online, the filter is also way cheaper online. Depending on where your looking like 50% cheaper.

I don't have any input on your filter...
but since you are starting a fish only.. and if you are sure you are going to stay that way... (we all seem to say that in the beginning)
I always hear of people trying to sell/give away great fish that are just ill behaved in the reef enviornment... there is a grouper I heard about just today.. but he might be too big for you...
you should post that you are looking for fish for a fish only setup in the want to buy section

best of luck to you! and you should come to a meeting! they are fun, informative and you can meet the faces behind the avitars :)
our auction is in october... you can get some really really nice things for great prices if you can wait that long

brsanime.gif

In my experience ehiems have been more user friendly than the fluvals maintenance wise, but I haven't seen an of the new ones. Also look into the rena filstars.

from what i can see while seeing them at petco is that the 404 and the 405's are pretty much the same. Same key plunger priming method, same filter compartments, same motor housing... etc. Don't know what they changed under the hood but looks the same except for the numbers. and the parts from the 404 and 405's are interchangable. I like the ehaim push to prime button, supposed to be one push and then it self primes.

I bought a Rena Filstar XP2 cannister filter about a year ago and I have been very happy with it. I have it on a freshwater Discus tank, so while it hasn't faced salt corrosion, it gets opened up and cleaned very regularly. Seems to stand up to wear and tear. My only complaint is that theres no priming function-- you open a cap and fill the intake. I have no problem starting it up, but I would worry if the job were left to anyone unfamiliar with it. Otherwise it's a wonderful filter for the money.

I also have a Eheim 2226 (pre-self-priming) that I bought about 9 years ago. That filter, too, has been a champ, but I had to order a new gasket for it and the thing cost me $30 and wasn't available from the vendors I'm used to. Frankly, I don't think its a "better" filter compared to the RENA, but it was the best out there when I bought it. This filter has the same priming problems as the RENA.

I would judge a cannister on:

-ease maintenance, including maintaining the siphon and restarting
-rugged design- especially in the closures/clips
-versatility of media- look for baskets you can put anything in
-availability of replacement parts

I think Fluval gets a bad rap, but I have no personal experience there, so I can't comment.

Good luck and welcome,
Abby

In my 30 years of fish keeping I have tried them all. I would go with a magnum 350. Not with the biowheel (Nitrate factory). If you go online to Petsmart.com They used to be $80. And if you print out the page and bring it to the store they will honor the price. I like them because they only have one media container, No priming to wrestle with, and you can also polish the water with the micron filter that comes with it. My 15yr old one needed a gasket and it cost $3. Good luck. Oh and I would also look into a Deep Sand Bed.

fish olny tank

Thanks everyone for your input. I think I will look into other brands of canisters suggested and choose from them. I will also take the other suggestions to heart such as the deep sand base and the skimmer. On the question of the sand base would 3 inches be considered a deep bed? Also I am considering two Korilina #2 power heads, do you think this is too much for a 45? Would a #2 and a #1 be better? thanks again

I would go with 5-6" to start because it will pack down to about 4''. And a 45 is a tall tank so it wont matter too much. Thats how I did mine and it works great. I would go with Kolorscape white play sand from Home depot it's $4. a bag. If you do any research you will find conflicting opinions on how much sand to use, but I did a lot of research and now this is my opinion. Just make sure you never get any sand sifters and dont ever disturb the sand bed. If you are going to be religious about water changes than I wouldn't use a skimmer for fish only. But you will need to keep up with changing your filter media for nutrient export. Every one will jump all over me for telling you not to go with a skimmer but I have shut mine down on all three of my fish only tanks, with no ill effects. Just my humble opinion.

Back