Fish room heating and ventilation help needed! Build about to commence!

If I didn't have a 5 year old back injury, I'd volunteer. Hell most of the @Officer won't even let me carry a tote with merchandise in them.
Honestly, it's gonna be a hassle getting them down and in. The concrete buklhead down to my basement dictated the size of these tanks. I'm pretty sure the wooden stairs are going to need to be cut out and removed to get them in. I imagine 6 guys at least with suction cups etc.

The build time is about 8 weeks. I should be receiving cad drawings to approve in a few days. Thanks for the advice gentlemen!

Hey guys and gals, Im not a very active poster but Ive been a fish keeper for 37 years. I'm finishing my basement, Im building a fish room. The room is 16 feet by 12 feet. I plan on approx 1300 gallons of water across about 7 tanks. THe help and or suggestions I am looking for is how to heat this room efficiently (I will not be using individual tank heaters, the room will be 78 degrees at all times) and also how to ventilate this room.

The room is being framed this week, I don't have much time to decide how to heat and vent this room...

The fish room will not be connected to my homes HVAC system. It will need its own heat and ventilation. My 1st thought was a mini split heat pump to heat and dehumidify the air. The basement fish room will NEVER need to be cooled, so a $5000 mini split that I would only use the heating function seems a bit of a waste.

A friend mentioned an HRV/ERV ventilation system....I like this idea! It does not heat the room however....

Im thinking Im gonna need to hire a Project Manager to get these tanks plumbed, auto top offs, mixing station, etc....who's the local guy for this type of stuff??

Thanks for the help and suggestions!
I’d maybe look into tapping into your home hot water line, and have it go through a coil of pex or 1/2” tube in a chamber of tank water, so you use that to heat the water but don’t let tap water contact tank water.

just a thought that might actually be feasible in your case.

I’d maybe look into tapping into your home hot water line, and have it go through a coil of pex or 1/2” tube in a chamber of tank water, so you use that to heat the water but don’t let tap water contact tank water.

just a thought that might actually be feasible in your case.
Wow. This blows my mind. I like this idea.... it's also completely feasible in my situation.

Just got the 3D drawings from Tsunami. Getting excited!!

These two 8 foot tanks will be in the same room, opposite eachother, but only 6 feet apart!

Electrician came by yesterday to spec out the fish room. (Well, actually the entire basement, but we only care about the fish room). These 2 tanks will each be on their own circuit. I also plan to have a dual 125g setup (above/below setup) which will be on its own circuit as well. Then there will be the triple rack of 40 breeders, again on its own circuit.

Also confirmed the mini split, which can go exactly where I want it, as behind that wall is the in-ground drain pump, so the condensate line can gravity feed right to that!

Back