freakin jumpin fish !

SherryQ

loves pufferfish
:(

Wednesday night I got a new fish - a really large Scott's Fairy wrasse. Yesterday and Today, I did not see my pencil wrasse - I was getting very worried, but tried to convince myself he was just hiding in the sand getting used to the new guy on the block. The Scott's wrasse has shown no interest in any of the fish - so I don't know why he would be hiding. Well, I was just on the phone for a few minutes. I got off looked in front of the tank and there was the pencil wrasse and my cat. I had been cleaning while I was on the phone - so with my hand that I hope had no cleaning stuff on it I picked him up and put him back in. He fell on top of a rock near the top of the tank and just layed there stiff. After a minute or two he moved himself into a crevice on top of the rock - now he is just laying there and I can't see enough of him to tell if he is alive or dead. This just bites. I just needed to tell someone who would understand the agony of this. Keep your fingers crossed for him. Thanks.

Sherry
:(

Oh my God Sherry! I can't believe that. I think the fact that he moved enough to get into a crevice is a good sign.

I will keep my fingers and toes crossed for you.

Keep us informed....
-Karen

Wrasses are pretty resilient Sherry. Hang in there and hope for the best. Most are jumpers tho. My carpenter flasher has hit the lights with a "gong" noise more than a few times.

working at a pet store you hear lots of stories .. the best jumping one i hear was this:

a guy had a dragon wrasse .. it jumped out of the tank into the air and his dog caught sight of it and ran and caught it in mid air and ate it .. lol

Thanks for the words of encouragement.
Most of the tank is covered - but the damn fish must have managed to find the clear spot. I'm off to Lowe's to buy more eggcrate.

The fish is still in the crevice - not moving.

Oh no Sherry! He was looking so good Weds night!
I hear/read if you hold them in front of a power head that sometimes help move water through them....I hope he makes it!
Your wrasse keeps jumping into the overflow! its frustrating but as long as he lands in the tank I'm happy.
Good thing Anna found him for you!
Give me a call if you need to!
-Abbey

Sorry to hear that Sherry. I hope he pulls through.

My daughters firefish ("bubbles") did the same thing. I got him back in the tank (I have no idea how long he was out of water for) and revived him but unfortunately he didn't make it.

I also had a Siamese Algae Eating fish do the same thing but he survived. And he landed on the rug and got covered in dog hair.

There's always a chance he'll make it.

I sure hope he does.

I just got back. He is no longer in the crevice in the rock. I don't know where he is, but I'm taking this as a sign that he swam out of the crevice and is hiding/recovering somewhere else. So, yeah - I think he is alive.

Feeling more hopeful,
Sherry

Sherry, good luck with your fish! Sounds like you may have caught him in time. I found a chromis that had jumped in a plastic Petco bag next to my tank one day, I was sitting on the sofa and heard the unmistable sound of a fish diving out of the tank. After looking around on the floor a few minutes I heard some plastic rustling and looked inside the bag and there he was, I scooped him up and put him in the tank, that was 7 mos. ago, and he's still swimming around. So have faith!

The pencil survived Friday night's jump. However, he jumped again yesterday. I had not seen him since Friday, and when I came home Sunday evening I found his dead body in front of the tank. What I can't figure out is how he got out. I had put a new piece of eggcrate on the tank Friday night - perfectly cut around the equipment so there would be no escape holes. I don't know how it happened. I'm really bummed about it. He was such a cool fish.
On a happier note - all the other wrasses are doing great. I still don't know why he jumped though. All of the other wrasses seem to get along great - no chasing or nipping or anything.
Should I try another pencil wrasse?

I now have
1 large Scott's Fairy wrasse
1 H. melanarus wrasse
1 H. iridis wrasse
2 chromis
1 blackcap basslet
1 small anthias
1 neon goby

Thanks for all the concern and sympathy.

Sherry

Very funny Richard!
The new wrasse is doing fantastic. He is eating like a pig and seems to be getting along well with everyone. I wasn't home yesterday afternoon so I did not get a chance to see him intereract with the H. melanarus. When I got home yesterday the new wrasse had gone to bed. Saturday night though it looked like all was peaceful.

Sherry

Back