Freezing RODI and TDS

this is me

I like turtles
BRS Member
Does freezing and thawing RODI affect the TDS? Summer is here and when I have the MJ1200 to mix the salt in a bucket all night, it heats up the water pretty bad. I have to wait for hours for it to cool down with a big fan blowing on it, so that I can use it for waterchange. What I want to do is to freeze some RODI and then drop it in the bucket. Of course, I'll offset the salinity with the frozen fresh RODI. I'm just an impatient bastard and I hate waiting for stuff.

You can freeze a 2 liter bottle with water in it and use it like a big ice cube.;) That way, you won't affect the salinity at all.

That's what my boys do for their nanos in the summer. We bought 4 oz water bottles and keep them 1/2 filled and frozen in the summer. They float them in the tanks when it gets too hot. They're small, so then tend not to overshoot and cool the tank too much.

In a pinch you can put ice in a zippie bag and float that, too. :)

I'm planning to use the ice. Just wondering if there would be any TDS in the freezing process. I guess I'll try it out.

this is me said:
I'm planning to use the ice. Just wondering if there would be any TDS in the freezing process. I guess I'll try it out.

I don't see how it would affect the tds, but a chemist I am not.

No, freezing or heating water will not change the TDS. The only way to impact the tds would be to cross contaminate the water in the process. As we are not talking about WFI or even ultrapure water there will be no problem unless you drop a chicken nugget or some frozen peas into it. I have not done it yet but if you have a deep freeze you should be able to freeze mixed saltwater.

Back