Giving up on Nilsen Reactor

smcnally

Tankless
Well, I built it, and it came out alright, but I just don't trust it under pressure. I need to think of a way to dose my kalk....I can't have my auto top off go into another container before my sump due to space requirements. I really want to start dosing kalk, but it seems like it is going to be way too much of a pain. Can someone explain to me why I wouldn't be able to suck a gallon of water out of my tank mix with kalk, and then pour the saturated fluid into the tank once it settled? I don't understand why you wouldn't be able to do that. But, I keep reading posts from people saying you can't, although nobody knows why not.

Dennis, I'm not talking about dosing it quickly. I'm talking about using tank water to mix it with instead of RODI since my RODI auto tops off my sump. That way I won't have a salinity fluctuation.

You need to mix it with fresh water only, not saltwater. The reason why is that you'll get a lot of precipitated magnesium and calcium carbonates.

Last edited:
smcnally said:
Dennis, I'm not talking about dosing it quickly. I'm talking about using tank water to mix it with instead of RODI since my RODI auto tops off my sump. That way I won't have a salinity fluctuation.

If your using a reactor why are you not running the auto top off through the reactor. Similar to the instructions for the Aqua-Medic.

Edit:
I just saw "due to space requirements" But this would be the best way.

Last edited:
I think he means he's looking for an alternative to the reactor, since he doesn't like the one he made.

Mr. Slippery said:
You need to mix it with fresh water only, not saltwater. The reason why is that you'll get a lot of precipitated magnesium and calcium carbonates.
Thanks, that was EXACTLY what I was wondering. You're right...I don't trust the unit I built to hold up to constant pressure. I just need to figure out a different way to do this.

You can leave the auto top off in place and run kalk top off seperate. Just use a perastaltic pump on a timer and set it to add 75% of the daily top off with the kalk. (if you can find the space for a seperate kalk res)

If your really unsatisfied with the reactor you built it's not too hard or expensive to make one from PVC. If your interested in that idea I can e-mail you a pic of the one I made.

also,
Can you run the reactor you made with a top off pump after the reactor, and have the inlet to the reactor connected to a resivor? This way it would operate under a slight vacum instead of under pressure.

Could you send me that pic? Maybe that's what I'll do. I actually saw one for sale that was made from a water filter housing, but it seems way too small.

can you PM me your e-mail so I can send a pic, I couldn't access it on the user panel or whatever it's called. Said user does not want to be contacted by E-mail.

The more I think about it my PVC kalk reactor wasn't all that cheap. I made it with a bunch of unuions, lg pvc pipe and fittings, and a mag 2 to circulate plus a digital timer and I must have spent 50-100$ on it. Whatever the case, It was a fun project you could copy or modify easily.

Back