Glass cage tank

Jeepman3sk

Non-member
Anyone have a glass cage tank? If so how do you like it etc. I'm looking for a 60g cube and staying away from deep blue and marineland. Any other manufacturers I should look at besides c2c and miracle?

whats wrong with deep blue? glass cages has a bad rep. for sloppy craftsmanship. I have a 60 cube deep blue rimless and its perfect.

I've heard of a few instances of deep blue tanks that had bad seams and needed replacing.

Glass cages often gets negative reviews for sloppy silicone and a less refined build, but plenty of people have had no issues with their tanks. I have heard of them shipping custom tanks without adequate cure time which is a recipe for disaster.

I've also heard of a couple of DSA tanks that developed leaks. I have an AGA 90g with a leak.

I doubt that any company has a %100 track record. Glass cages tanks are usually pretty "solidly" built from what I've seen.

I have a Glass Cages 40 breeder rimless with starfire panels. It's absolutely perfect but I've seen sloppy silicone jobs on GC tanks. I got my tank used so I got to inspect it before taking it. I would not want to pay for a tank in advance, sight unseen, show up at the delivery location, find the tank to be not up to snuff and GC already has your money.

Aside from cosmetics, the only glass cages failure I have heard of was the one or two stories of tanks that weren't fully cured. If you do get one, keep in mind that regardless of what anyone tells you a glass tank should sit for at least a few weeks before being filled.

I had a GC tanks that was nice. Was it a Miracles tank? NO, but your not paying for one. I was actually ordering a tank from Miracles and just canceled it. Derek was great to deal with, and answered all my questions, and never had to wait to talk to him, and he would call me back. I am sorry I am not getting a tank from him, but in the end it didnt make sense. I loved the cube, but could live with th fact of going from a 120, to a 60.

Good Luck
Derek

Down fall of deep blue is you can't drill the bottoms with any more holes as the reef ready versions have tempered glass for the bottom panel. I'm buying an 80g rimless deep blue tonight off another BRS'r, but plan to run the return up and over the back of the tank (or through it if I get some onions and decide to drill), but it certainly is nice to be able to choose all your options with a totally custom tank.

What kind of specs are you going for on your new tank? Glass, silicone, overflow, drains?

I had a glass cages 140 cube, great tank, their low iron glass (starfire) is nice and I would get it if you can. Siliocone job was sloppy but mine was going in wall so I didn't car. Solid tank.

60g cube, rimless, one overflow in the back left corner 2 holes, whatever silicone they want to throw on, and that's it. Think I'm going to go with Miracle. They were only a little more expensive.

I don't have any first hand experience with GC. I have gone to them for quotes. They are reasonable, and quick to respond. I have read the horror threads, but every company is going to have their issues. I am considering ordering a frag tank with them. I am just waiting to get quotes back from a few other vendors.

60g cube, rimless, one overflow in the back left corner 2 holes, whatever silicone they want to throw on, and that's it. Think I'm going to go with Miracle. They were only a little more expensive.

You just described the deep blue reef ready...are you sure you don't want a deep blue? I bet you would save hundreds of dollars.

Personally I wouldn't even consider going with deep blue after speaking with the guys at Oceans in glass. I was just there yesterday and they said that in 4 years they have had 15 tanks that started to leak.

glasscages
1/2" glass thickness. Because of this, you might need to go starphire otherwise the tank can be very greenish.
tank build is very sturdy like solid rock.
can be custom
The silicon job can be a little sloppy on some tanks. But over all I think they build great tank. (as I have not heard anything like tank leak...etc from their tank(,
Glasscages tank can be very expensive once you add in the holes, the overflow,the starphire...reef ready options..etc.

Marineland tanks (60g/93g cube).
glass thickness is 3/8" and is very clear
This Marineland tank has so many bubbles issues on the seams. You can find a lot of review are there on the internet regarding their bubbles issues on their seams. But there has not been any disaster or tank crash/leak...with these Marineland tanks.
Most local LFS can get you this tank easily. hek, there is always at least one for sale in the hardware_for_sale_forum all the time.

Deep Blue.
I thought they build very good tank. the deep blue 57g rimless that I had was a very well built except the center overflow was way way too big

You want to talk about Miracles tank?
a little expensive but very nice
their tank built quality is no different than Elos. You will be amazed with how neat and small their silicon line are.
You will need to order from Canada and you will have to give them your social security in order to be able to get the tank into the US.
By the way, their rimless tank has a plastic trim on the bottom just so you know.

So to summarize. Unless you going for a very very big tank (120g or higher), otherwise either deep blue or Marineland tank should be okay and use the money on other equipments.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:
When I was going to get my 60, I was ordering it from Miracles. I was thinking of getting a Deep Blue after seeing the one set up at Love the Reef. I liked the idea of the external overflow, but in the end the 60 was going to be to small for me. Good luck making up your mind. If its something you plan on keeping for awhile, I would go with Miracles.'

Good Luck

Derek

Back