Goby pair with pistol shrimp pair.

Jbissell1289

the_Great_Bissell_Reef
BRS Member
So I asked this on my build thread, but also thought I’d post it here.

My black-ray goby jumped out last night while waiting on my lid for my new set-up. sSo now I’m deciding what to get in his place once the lid does come.

Any thoughts on having a pair of gobies with my current pair of pistol shrimp? Will having two pairs together cause an issue. I can’t think of any, but wanted to voice the idea here before trying to find a pair.

In 2 different tanks, I have 2 goby pairs each with pistol shrimp. The larger goby of each pair is visible almost all the time. Much of the time both are visible.

With 2 pistol shrimps the pair might split apart and guard 1 shrimp each. I had 2 pistol shrimps in one tank with one goby pair and the 2 gobies lived apart for a long time, but even at opposite ends of the tank the gobies never fought. That pair is back together now. My guess is one of the shrimps might have died, but it’s difficult to know with the tiny candy cane pistol shrimps.

In 2 different tanks, I have 2 goby pairs each with pistol shrimp. The larger goby of each pair is visible almost all the time. Much of the time both are visible.

With 2 pistol shrimps the pair might split apart and guard 1 shrimp each. I had 2 pistol shrimps in one tank with one goby pair and the 2 gobies lived apart for a long time, but even at opposite ends of the tank the gobies never fought. That pair is back together now. My guess is one of the shrimps might have died, but it’s difficult to know with the tiny candy cane pistol shrimps.
The pistol shrimp are a pair and burrow together. Lol.
I feel like a broken record

I was hoping for a pistol shrimp pair but the shrimp never paired up.

Goby pair 1
1D2B31D7-E04F-4C3D-894B-423EB648A0CD.jpeg
Goby pair 2, small goby left side of tank
0782E526-9847-4AB0-9421-B71483EA83BC.jpeg

Goby pair 2, larger goby right side of tank
E775CD95-6369-4DBE-B701-6132B62EBBCF.jpeg

Clowns having a gourmet snail snack
B8FDA44E-EDFE-4D3A-8247-69AE2CE07293.jpeg

That’s pretty awesome! Yep getting a pair. Will they be paired off at the store? How do you tell if you’re getting a pair or not?

Here’s mine. the trio was from a while ago. Just the two is from a few weeks ago.
BC56760F-C1CD-4FCE-9270-D139E22219D3.jpeg
2D3DBC91-FB15-46DD-B27F-3D44715406DF.jpeg

I bought both of these pairs as pairs from LiveAquaria 2 years ago. I’ve read in articles and posts that they can change sex in either direction. Each of these pairs has a larger goby and a smaller goby and the smaller goby is noticeably smaller and shorter, similar to what you’d see with paired clownfish. In the store, 2 shrimp gobies hanging out side by side guarding 1 shrimp is probably what I’d look for.

A674FF7F-E7B4-4A8E-B46F-254F5C392AEB.jpeg

I bought both of these pairs as pairs from LiveAquaria 2 years ago. I’ve read in articles and posts that they can change sex in either direction. Each of these pairs has a larger goby and a smaller goby and the smaller goby is noticeably smaller and shorter, similar to what you’d see with paired clownfish. In the store, 2 shrimp gobies hanging out side by side guarding 1 shrimp is probably what I’d look for.

View attachment 157801
Wow I didn’t realize they could change!

Now my decision is so you want a pair of yasha gobies or black ray gobies? Lol I know yasha are more pricey, but I’m not sure how much more.

Any thoughts?

Nice! I think at this point I’ll get either pair depending on which pair I can find first as long as the yasha gobies aren’t too crazy in price.

Back