Good morning!

jackthestrat

DON'T PANIC
Good morning everybody.

I just started this wonderful hobby and thought I would join this font of knowledge as a humble peon with great aspirations.

Current setup-

36 gallon bowfront glass tank
200 watt heater
40 lbs live rock, mixed fiji / tonga branch with lots of goodies
3 inch aragonite sand bed
30" coralife PC lighting fixture, the generic daylight/actinic/LED setup
one maxijet 1200, one maxijet 600
ehiem ecco canister filter with media removed for flow
one CPR BakPak 2 w/ the bale removed

Bugs and Stuff:

4 turbo snails
3 astrea snails
3 red legged hermits
3 blue legged hermits
3 left handed hermits
1 green chromis

Tank's chem is hanging out currently at 1.23 at 75 deg F, calcium approx 450ppm, 0 ammonia 0 trites 0 trates, alkalinity is good

I'm currently using Instant Ocean Salt and B-Ionic calicum buffer/supplement.

I have a bit of a green/brown algae problem that I'm combatting by only using distilled water (up until yesterdxay I was using tap, I won't lie - feeding the problem wasn't too bright)

So whaddya guys and gals think? Off to a good start?

Hope to talk to all of you folks at one point or another.

Peace,

M:eek:

Welcome to the addiction. Everything looks good so far. I would recommend getting a Magnesium test kit too, you'll want to keep your Mg around 1350. IMO, Mg is often overlooked, but in the last year or two people have been realizing how important it really is with not only helping keep your Alk and Ca easier to maintain, but it also helps keep algae in control to an extent. Good luck with your tank, you'll learn lots here.

You're off to an amazing start! BRS is a great place to be to meet folks with years of experience in the hobby.

I have a feeling we'll be watching you post your upgrade path from the 36 gallon to a much larger tank someday! It's ok we understand, we've all been there!! :D

Check out this artice ... http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/april2004/chem.htm

I think you'll find it very useful for saving money on the B-Ionic suppliments. And as Steve says watch your MG also! The article covers that too. MG is more important than most give it credit for.

Also do yourself a favor and stay far far away from tap water. You'll be adding corals I'm sure and there's way too much garbage in tap water. Most LFS sell RO/DI water or you can buy an RO/DI unit. It pays for itself in no time!

So welcome!! It's a great hobby. Please post pics of your tank when you feel it's time. We love pics around here.

Now if you'll excuse me I must run and go spend yet another few hundred bucks that's burning a hole in my pocket! :)

<em>

Would have loved to do the big tank deal - too bad the landlord isn't happy with the situation at all. Had to kiss some behind to get what I've got. But you're right, once I'm outta this space it's upgrade time...

:p

-M

Welcome to the addiction. Everything looks good so far. I would recommend getting a Magnesium test kit too, you'll want to keep your Mg around 1350. IMO, Mg is often overlooked, but in the last year or two people have been realizing how important it really is with not only helping keep your Alk and Ca easier to maintain, but it also helps keep algae in control to an extent. Good luck with your tank, you'll learn lots here.

Dude,
Is this true?wow. I bought a tank off a guy that had magnesium as a suppliment and his tank was awesome. He had mostly mushroom corals. I don't check magnesium, I just do monthly water changes of about 25%. The mushrooms are still doing good, but not growing like he said they did.
I dont know if it is the magnesium or not but I think I will buy a kit to find out.

Ray -

Do you / have you used this two part method? I'm thinking seriously of getting into it but id like somebody's personal reassurance that it works and wont hose the tank!

If so, where's the best place to get Dow flake?

Ray -

Do you / have you used this two part method? I'm thinking seriously of getting into it but id like somebody's personal reassurance that it works and wont hose the tank!

If so, where's the best place to get Dow flake?

Home Depot carries Dowflake. At least the one in Methuen did last year.

I do not use the two part method anymore since adding a CA reactor but I did use that method for a long time and it worked great. If you follow the fornular you should be fine.

Updates!

1.) On to a 40 gallon breeder.
2.) upgraded lights to a 2x175 iwasaki 15k w/ custom built canopy
3.) picked up a ecotech vortech as my sole water circulation, going just shy of full blast (this thing is amazing, HIGHLY suggested, i couldnt stand the look of maxis in my tank)
4.) CPR HOB fuge w/ chaeto, some marshall island LR, and TONS of bugs

Fishies added:
1) springers dotty (best fish in the universe, plays nice with everything!)
1) red scooter dragonet

8 heads of xenia (this stuff grows really amazingly fast), 1 xtra large neon frogspawn, bunch of SPS frags, 1 fire ice zoa, 1 super green zoa, bunch of metallic striped mushies, 1 orange florida ric, 1 of the oddest-colored toadstools i have ever seen (this guy might be available if someone wants him, he's unhappy w/ the flow / environmental conditions)

My SG is up to 1.025 at 80deg.

One thing I've noticed is I have a ton of coralline growth on my rocks but nothing on my glass. My other algae problems are GONE - with one exception. It looks like I'm getting, if my thoughts are correct, green diatoms on my glass that need to be scraped every couple days. This stuff is CRUNCHY. Is this normal / okay?

Also - anybody know how to browse in Ubuntu to a removable flash media drive? I want to post pics but I can't figure out where they are!

Sounds like you got a great tank underway! Ive been into this for a year now, but still dont know anything! lol Maybe once we both get some good stuff growing we can trade frags, I live right in Billerica.

Im using Ubuntu on my old PC, and when I plug a thumbdrive into it, it will pop up right on the desktop. Did you try the Computer icon?

btw, I love the springeri dottyback. I had one but unfortunetely like most fish I get he didnt last a week. :(

jdeb -

sounds great!

yeah i figured out the ubuntu deal. if you promise not to tell anyone ill let you know what i didnt do...

power the camera on

ouch

-M

Welcome

Welcome to the Boston Reefers. It is a great group. Ask lots of questions.
The forums are good ways to learn new things.

Good luck with the tank.
Tom

Good morning everybody.

I just started this wonderful hobby and thought I would join this font of knowledge as a humble peon with great aspirations.

Current setup-

36 gallon bowfront glass tank
200 watt heater
40 lbs live rock, mixed fiji / tonga branch with lots of goodies
3 inch aragonite sand bed
30" coralife PC lighting fixture, the generic daylight/actinic/LED setup
one maxijet 1200, one maxijet 600
ehiem ecco canister filter with media removed for flow
one CPR BakPak 2 w/ the bale removed

Bugs and Stuff:

4 turbo snails
3 astrea snails
3 red legged hermits
3 blue legged hermits
3 left handed hermits
1 green chromis

Tank's chem is hanging out currently at 1.23 at 75 deg F, calcium approx 450ppm, 0 ammonia 0 trites 0 trates, alkalinity is good

I'm currently using Instant Ocean Salt and B-Ionic calicum buffer/supplement.

I have a bit of a green/brown algae problem that I'm combatting by only using distilled water (up until yesterdxay I was using tap, I won't lie - feeding the problem wasn't too bright)

So whaddya guys and gals think? Off to a good start?

Hope to talk to all of you folks at one point or another.

Peace,

M:eek:

Back