Got a Mantis for my Mantis Tank

david3d

Non-member
Well my first tank now has an inhabitant. It's a 2.5"-3" mantis shrimp that we named "Al" so I hope it's male :). It's named after Al Capone b/c if you cross him he'll have you wacked.
At the moment it's believed to be a peacock and is mostly blue in color but I hope to have a positive ID on him in the coming days. I picked him up at Skipton's today and after acclimating him to my tank water he seems to be making himself right at home. First thing he did was hunt down the small piece of clam I put in there for him to eat. I'll take some pictures of him and his new abode here in a bit once my camera finishes charging it's batteries.
Hopefully this will hold me and Melody over until we get our 60gal cube all together. The 6 gal mantis tank is intended to end up at my office on my desk but I think we'll end up with another mantis tank here at the house as well though.

Dave

Congrats David. I just sold my freshwater and now will have an extra tank... of course a week after getting rid of my mantis LOL

This mantis is really cool! I was peering through his favorite hole this morning, and he saw me and shuffled himself into a little ball to reverse direction and stuck his little eyeballs out at me. I rubbed my finger against the tank wall, and his little globey eyeballs followed me very carefully. Then I peered around the backside of the hole and he twirled himself around and flared up at me, looking like, "You wanna piece of me?"

hehe.. I love this little guy. Mantis shrimp get such a bad rap..and for good reason!

Melody~

Oh, and I'm not sure how much work you're going to get done at your desk with this excessive rock-pop clicking, David! hehe..

Ok finally got pictures of the tank and of "Al" (the mantis).

Al's bachelor pad.
AL_Condo.jpg

Al
AL_01.jpg

Al eating krill "on a steeeeek"
AL_02.jpg

-Dave

Pics are no showing up anymore: "Sorry, this site is temporarily unavailable!
The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data transfer."

Nuno

Hmm....it's not letting me edit my message. But at the moment the images appear to be working unless it's my cache. If it's not my cache it's likely due to the date change which will only work for a short amount of time before running into the same problem.
-Dave

Oh!yeh! he is a peacock.Nice coloring.Mine is mild mannered ..well for a mantis.He's lime green.makes mantis #9 .there is one more in the 55 gal. jet black,faster and meaner than all the rest combined.

Back