Green Algae Film = Cloudy Tank

MichaelJ

Reefer
BRS Member
Like it says... I have the green algae film on the walls of my tank, it is also creating a cloudiness situation in my tank. My tank is new, but I don't think it is suppose to be still going on. I am not using in form of filtering media. All I have is my MR1 skimmer (75g tank).

I do have a jug of Carbon, my water comes into my refugium and the sump where the skimmer takes in water, then everything drains into the return area.

What is my next move? I've searched a bunch of threads and got no definative answer.

It's normal to get pretty heavy lime-green film algae on the glass for the first 6 months or year of a tank's life. You may have to wipe it off with a magnet cleaner every day. Then at some point (if your tank develops well) the green film will appear more and more slowly, until you don't have to clean the glass at all (except for coraline algae).

It's normal to get pretty heavy lime-green film algae on the glass for the first 6 months or year of a tank's life. You may have to wipe it off with a magnet cleaner every day. Then at some point (if your tank develops well) the green film will appear more and more slowly, until you don't have to clean the glass at all (except for coraline algae).

6 months to a year huh.... wow. Yeah, I've been using a magnet.. I guess my snails will never be hungry. Well I guess if it's that simple then thanks for the replies.... :)

Michael

Is the water green all the time or only when you clean the glass?

You will have a good amount of algea in the water column after you clean the glass.

Although your through the initial cycle the tank will continue to go through mini cycle for quite some time until it matures. IMHO a tank takes a good year to year and a half to mature if everything goes well.

I do however doubt you will attain a tank that doesn't produce any algea. Atleast I have yet to see one. Best I have been able to attain is about 4 days with out having to clean the glass.

Is the water green all the time or only when you clean the glass?

You will have a good amount of algea in the water column after you clean the glass.

Although your through the initial cycle the tank will continue to go through mini cycle for quite some time until it matures. IMHO a tank takes a good year to year and a half to mature if everything goes well.

I do however doubt you will attain a tank that doesn't produce any algea. Atleast I have yet to see one. Best I have been able to attain is about 4 days with out having to clean the glass.

Could there be any other filtering that I could be doing? And the water is just cloudy even before I clean the glass.. I just hate to put a fish in a cloudy tank...:(

Well I guess it really depends on what your doing now?

But I wouldn't add anything if the water is actually cloudy.
Let it cycle itself out. Make sure your skimmer is working well and
keep it clean. Watch for things dying off on the LR possible sponges etc.

Waiting a week or even two is better than upsetting the cycle as you will end up waiting at some point. It is hard to wait when you have the fever :)

Fever is right!!! I won't be adding anything... let my small cleanup crew have fun and see where it takes me...

thanks for the replies .... No magic potion tonight.. ;)

Back