Hardwood floor refinishing with a Reef tank

jdeb101

Non-member
I will have my hardwood floors refinished sometime soon and was wondering if I should be concerned at all. I will firstly have to move the tank off my hardwood floors to a tile foyer which will be a pita,

My two biggest concerns are 1) my tank is open top, should I worry about dust? How can I seal it up without preventing air exchange? And 2) I believe an oil based finish will be used, so I'm particularly curious as to whether the fumes will cause any problems?

TIA

Worry about the dust and the fumes. If you can make the tank/sump air tight and get a large skimmer or a bunch of air stones pumping fresh air remotely from another room.
The dust will have poly and stain in it and the fumes will definitely create at a minimum a bacterial bloom.

I would tent that tank off as airtight as possible and get it a fresh air source. The fumes from oil based polyurethane are nasty

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

We had our floors redone a few years ago. The company used a dustless system that really left almost zero dust. They also used a water-based poly finish. I did cover the tank with a blanket to keep the dust out (I really didn't believe it would be as dustless as it was) and to allow air exchange. I had no problem whatsoever.

Definitely be cautious with exposure to volatile organic compounds (VOCs). I learned the hard way when my corporate apartment insisted on cleaning the carpet.

Back