Hawaiian Featherduster Reproduction?

WarSea378

Non-member
I have a very healthy Hawaiian Feather Duster attached to a rock, but it has a "tail" that hangs from it's base (not feather end) freely. I started to see it separating from the main body until finally it completely came off this morning. The section is about 2 1/2" long and seems to have moved away from the worm itself. I'm not sure if it is moving on it's own or swept by the current. Will this section become a new worm? I looked up reproduction but wasn't really able to find if they reproduce sexually or asexually, I even read on one sight they can do both. Has anyone had any experience with this topic? Obviously if it's a dead section I'd prefer to remove it.

No other organisms in my tank have paid any attention to it, as far as eating it anyway. I've seen the worms outside of their tubes and there is no confusion over it being that. It seems to have a tube that has sand glued all around it, it is a little darker as well.

I've had a few dusters and have seen them throw their crowns, and I've seen the crown shrink until I bought some specific food for them, then their crowns got large, colorful and full. The worm itself looks great, it's just this last 2 1/2" or so that just dropped off.

Back