Heard Allston Lost Power Today

Owen386

Non-member
Hey Fellow Reefers,

First Off Hope anyone living in Allston Did not loose Power. I did not.

Seeing this brought me to the realization that if I lost power I am screwed.

Wondering What everyone does in this Case I know the emergency manuel ways of trying to keep a tank a love but I was wondering what everyone else uses for back up power. I do not have the Money for a generator, so I was thinking something like this: http://www.powerinverters.org/products/Power-Bright-12V-DC-to-AC-400-Watt-Power-Inverter.html

Run an extension cord to my car. Would this be sufficient to run a few PH and heater ?

-Owen

Uhhh, you are worried about a heater right now? Do you live in an ice box? LOL. The biggest thing is keeping the water moving and the water cool enough. Frozen water bottles can help prevent overheating and a battery powered air pump will make sure the fish get oxygen. A powerhead disturbing the surface of the water is a good idea and that inverter could come in handy for that.

My advice is next time you want to spend $300 on livestock or new equipment that you don't really need right away, go buy a small generator. If you have more money in livestock than you spend on a generator, it potentially pays for itself in one outage.

Back