Help me...AGA stand owners!!!

Scarfish

We want the wolf
Had my 90g tank for 2 yrs. just noticed a separation in the wood in the back of the stand.

Is this a potential disaster???

please check yours to compare

help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• slit_in_stand.jpg
    slit_in_stand.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 236
doesnt look like that would be a portion holding the load, but im not sure from the pic.. hopefully nate will know

another shot of it - NO SHADOW IN THIS portion

Attachments

• slit_in_stand2.jpg
    slit_in_stand2.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
Hmmm...I was thinking of reinforcing mine a little before I set the 210 on it....maybe now I definately will.....

A line of liquid nails and screws starting from the top down to pull it back in. Do it s-l-o-w-l-y and alternate between screws if you do this. If there's too much friction to pull it could break. My guess It's Probably not level or the floor is to cause the end to pop out.
Rich

going on vacation today till Monday. this is just what I need right now. arghhhh

I can say that you are probably correct in saying the floor is not level. I know it wasn't front to back when I started out, so I put a rug under the front 1/4 of the stand to even it out (it's on carpet as well).

For now, I put pvc between the wall and the tank so that the stand won't separate any more.

I knew when I saw the stand after I bought it that it looked like a piece of junk

I'm thinking of just building my own now.

However, I really don't wanna have to switch out the stands...what a major pain...I already swapped out tanks (12 hr project) to find out that what I thought was a crack was only glue shaped like a crack (in a weird area).

I'd rather have someone swing by and gimme a 2nd opinion before I make a stand swap.

SERENITY NOW!!!

I dunno what to say. Is the weight supported on that plywood side, and the 4" wide plywood strip that is running vertically at 90 degrees to the side? Or is there a post hiding behind that corner.

I'm assuming this is built like the Oceanic stands I've looked more closely at, and there is no post back there. In that case I'd definitely draw it back together. Liquid Nails and screws with wide heads or washers. Counterbore (pre-drill) the side piece (where the head will sit) with a hole that the screw can slide through fully. (I wouldn't use drywall screws, as they might split it. If you use flat head screws, countersink them. Round head screws won't be as pretty, but they might be strongest.) Start at the top and work your way down.

Another option would be to use 3/16" carriage bolts, drill all the way through the side and the upright support, then gradually tighten them all to draw the side back towards the support. I'd also check the front corners to make sure something similar isn't going on.

Nate

i would say for that and any other stand,,anytime a main support becomes separated from the structure it should need repair. i would glue,clamp and screw it back. and maybe even support it further with inside corner blocks glued and screwed.

the stand once fixed and possibly enhanced with some additional inside support should be fine..you can never have too much support anyway.
heck,,i supported my whole floor for just a 125g. :D

i'll check my old aga stand anyway later to see how it's built.

BTW: my grandfather owned a woodworking shop for 50 yrs..i worked off an on there for about 13.

Last edited:
if you have access to 60" bar clamps i would slowly closed it with 2 or three of them
then screw it together. your problem is going to be the rug make sure none of the rug is between the two peices. from the pic it doesnt look like there wasnt much holding it together after the glue. i dont beleive you will really be able to do this without the clamps with water in it.

once it is back together use a square piece of wood on the inside of the corner screw and glue the piece in place. this like if you look under you kitchen table the table top is attached this way

if you do use the clamps make sure to use wood blocking so you dont damage the stand even the little rubber pads wont do much

I'm not sure what to do.

are you guys suggesting I do this stuff while the tank is full? or half full?
I'm not all that handy, and I would be freaked out to do what you guys suggest with a full tank.

lemme just say that the picture may be deceiving for the fact that there's only maybe 6" behind the tank. The camera is right up against the wall in the shot. Plus there's only maybe 12" on either side of the tank. So doing anything while the tank is full/half would be tricky. what do you think??

As much as I'd hate to do it, it sounds like it'd give me more piece of mind if I built a new stand. I'm handy enough to do that if I have the plans.

what a pain this is

Back