Help me pick my next fish...

reverendmaynard

Non-member
Hey folks,

I'm new here, and have posted my introductory thread with pics here.

So, anyway, I'm looking to round out my stock of fish. I believe I have room for at least one more, even once they reach mature size (if you think that is not the case, please speak up.)

My tank is a standard 125g mixed (soft/lps) reef, 40 gallon sump, skimmer, 640w vho lighting, 2-3" sugar-fine aragonite sand.

Currently, my fish: 1 yellow tang, 1 hippo tang, 1 foxface, 2 maroon clowns, 2 labouti wrasee, 1 royal gramma.

Inverts: 2 skunk cleaner shrimp, 1 haitian pink tip anemone (condy), 20ish zebra hermits, assorted snails, mostly of the smaller variety (ceriths, IPSF "strombus" both breeding like mad!), tiger tail cuke.

Corals: xenia, anthelia, toadstool, fiji leather, spaghetti leather, assorted shrooms (no fish eating ones! :lol: ), zoos, torch, candy cane, scolymia, fungia.

I had started researching hawkfish (specifically the flame hawkfish), but didn't feel it was worth the risk of losing all my shrimp/crabs/snails.

Now I'm thinking maybe a mandarin, if I can find one already eating prepared foods.

Anyone have any suggestions?

TIA,
Eric. :D

Wow, that was fast!

So, a mandarin sounds like it would work?

Skiptons? Not familiar with it. I'm in Cranston, RI. I don't mind going out of the way, but not too far. :D

Thanks.

They are in Boston and one of the BRS sponsors. I picked one up there about 3 weeks ago and he is eating frozen brine. You definitely want to call ahead to them and speak with Steve to see if he has any eating frozen.

If you're in cranston, go over to Coral Reef Aquarium in Seekonk. Theyre another sponsor. I'm sure Jeremy can take care of you.

I have a Mandarin that started eating copepods and is doing well in the tank. they are usually shy and pick at things on the rock. With my second Spotted mandarin, I bought one that was really small and he doesn't seem skittish at all. He comes right out to the rock on the front and is enjoying being in the front of the tank.

I have a male and female Resplendant Anthias and they are really beautiful and exhibit some nice behaviors. They have started to eat frozen mysis and brine shrimp and seem very happy.

My Flame Hawk is one of my favorite fish. This guy has personality! He perches himself on my magnavore and watches me - his eyes actually follow me! I have tons of shrimp and crabs - he's never showed any interest in any of them. Just keep him well fed. Oh, and his color is awesome - brilliant red. I highly recommend them.

Back