Help me pick out an aquarium controller

N

number1gsxxr

Okay I just learned about aquarium controllers the other day and they seem really handy. I had no idea they could do so much. Can someone help me pick one out for my system. I tried looking through the specs of some of the different ones and it's a bit confusing. Right now I have a million of those lamp timers controlling things and it would be really nice to clean things up a bit under the tank. I also really like the standby features for feeding time and to calm things down at night.

Here's what I have:

46-gal bowfront
hang on back overflow into a pro clear aquatic sump (I forget the size maybe 15-20gal)
Mag5 return pump
36" nova extreme pro T5 lights
(2) koralia K-2 power heads
coralife 125 super skimmer
200W heater (I think I will get two smaller ones so they fit in the sump better and as a precaution in case one gets stuck on)
Current USA moon light with expansion module
32W (I think) 'fuge light

So by my count that's 10 electrical plugs. Two for the light and one for each piece of equipment. I'm counting the heater as two since I will probably get a second one. Obvisouly I don't need to control every single electrical component but in case I add anything it would be nice to have the option.

Would it be better to get a more advanced controller for down the road if I get a much larger tank or for additional features that I someday might want?
I would like to setup an ATO at some point to replace evap water. Money is sort of an issue but don't mind saving until I can afford a better unit. TIA!

I looked into this a bit for my own system. First off, from what I've read the Koralia's (I run them too) don't do well with any sort of wave function. They are noisy and it supposedly shorts the life of the powerhead. The timer function that you are looking for would be nice. I went on Digital Aquatics site and realized that when they advertise the RK lite for around $149 you also have to buy the outlets the probes and other items to get it to work right (unless I am mistaken). The result of my quick and dirty research makes sense only if you keep a heavily stocked and hard to keep coral system (i.e. exotic corals, SPS, etc.) and really need precision in your system. I keep a lot of easy to keep corals and fish and decided it just wasn't worth the price tag.

I have an AC III its very good.
You can add up to 16 electrical cords and always upgrade for more in the future.;)

I have heard the same thing about the koralias and I am less concerned about the wave function. I'd probably just use the timer to turn one of them off at night. Right now I am using lamp timers for my lights and they take up a lot of space and are not very accurate.

I could probably get by with a RK Lite Level 1 or AC Jr. but if I need to purchase additional outlets than I might be better off just getting the higher model and have the option of using it on a larger tank in the future. For now I probably only need 4 outlets. Use two outlets for my light fixture, one for my moon lights, and the last outlet for one of the koralias. It says it's only good for 15Amps so I guess I need to figure out what kind of draw my lights and power heads would need. I doubt it's close to 15A though.

Im pretty sure that the rk elite comes with the probes and plugs buts its a bit pricey though, saving my pennies for one also

Koralias work well with a controller after you mod them. Plus you get a lot more flow.

Koralias work well with a controller after you mod them. Plus you get a lot more flow.

Do you have any links or more info about these mods. A quick search shows that you replace the prop, is this correct? I don't know if I need any more flow however. I already had to play with the the positions of my powerheads to stop a sandstorm in the tank.

Do you have any links or more info about these mods. A quick search shows that you replace the prop, is this correct? I don't know if I need any more flow however. I already had to play with the the positions of my powerheads to stop a sandstorm in the tank.

Not off hand. I am sure if you search around you will find something.

I have used them on K4's with maxijet mods and its amazing the flow these things make.

Back