Help, need advice on last-min. hospital tank.

The Ng Thing

Non-member
So within the last couple days both of my cap colonies have fallen off the side of my tank where they were glued. I'm pretty sure this is because of the current & total weight of each colony.

I'm in a bit of a panic because I need to setup a completely new tank to put them in primarily because they are too big, block a ton of light from my other corals, and are getting stung by other things in my tank. (If you look at the picture below this is how they are now because I have no other place to put them.) I'm hesitant to frag them until I know they are stable. I don't want to lose them & I don't want to sell them for two reasons: 1) I want a piece of them for myself & 2) they are not fit to be sold because they are still recovering from some tissue receding.

I was planning on setting up another temporary "frag" tank to keep them in until they are all healed. The biggest thing I want to avoid is a new cycle.

I can sacrifice some liverock for the new tank but will I also need to put some of my sand in? (I was thinking of doing a bare bottom type of system but I'm not sure if this can be done on such short notice) I was also planning on doing a 50% water change to my 10g and using the old water to start a new 10g. (topping off each tank with 10g of premade water) Does this approach seem feasible? I should know this but like I said I'm in a panic because I only have an existing 10g tank to work with and I'll have to start mixing more water tonight.

I've got almost evrything I need except for a lighting system and 10g. Funny enough, I have extra t5 bulbs, does anyone know of a cheap single bulb t-5 lamp? I think I've seen them for reptile habitats.

Luckily I'm off tomorrow so I have the whole day to look for things. I just need help creating a game plan for setting up a "new" tank asap.Thanks in advance :(:(

dd (Medium).jpg

If its just temporary, alternate the lights between the 2 tanks.
Also, just steal a couple rocks to handle the montiporas bio load.

I would be more concerned with
Change of light ammt
spectrum
And finally flow.

Good luck.

Back