Hi All

Spearsie

Non-member
Hi Folks I am pretty new here but have wandered around the forums for a little bit. I received an old 29g Eclipse from friend a few years ago and have been adding to it and modifying it ever since. Had I known then what I know now I would have dumped the Eclipse hood at the start :)

Lets see some pics. :)

WelcomeBRS5.jpg

I'll spare you the pics for the time being until I have a camera that isn't inside of my phone :) I am hoping to upgrade my lighting but since I have an Eclipse hood that means upgrading my lighting, filter, skimmer and possibly my whole tank, in which case a camera may be a bit down the line.

I grew up just south of Boston these days I am hiding in West Newton for the time being. Who knows where i'll end up next.

Since I am pondering upgrading my lighting, I was wondering if anyone has any advice on what kind of lighting I should use for the tank. It is a 30 1/4 x 12 1/2 x 18 3/4 (lxwxh) tank.

Lighting really depends on what you want to keep. PC is inexpensive but can only keep some softies and some lowerlight LPS. If you want to keep everything look at T5's or MH's. There are pro's and cons to each just do a search on the forums and you'll find some threads...

Oh and welcome :p

Welcome to the hobby. I use PC's and I am very happy with them. They are inexpensive to purchase, easy on the electric bill, replacement bulbs are inexpensive relative to MH and they do not heat up the tank. I have successfully kept toadstools, green star polyps, yellow polyps, button polyps and an array of mushroom. If I wanted to keep anything more exotic I would probably need to upgrade my lighting. My recommendation is that since you are new to the hobby and you may move, start with something managable as you probably don't want to tie up to much money in your setup. I started with a 29 gallon 5 years ago, moved up to a 150 gallon about 2 years ago and just downsized to a custom 50 gallon. My point is that you will figure out what type of setup suits your needs and interests as you progress in the hobby. I wish that I would have started out slower, researched things a bit more and been a bit more pudent with my dollars. I am still new to this hobby relative to the people on this forum and I recomend that you not be shy with your questions. If I would have started out here like you are, I probably would have a couple grand more in the bank account!

Since I am pondering upgrading my lighting, I was wondering if anyone has any advice on what kind of lighting I should use for the tank. It is a 30 1/4 x 12 1/2 x 18 3/4 (lxwxh) tank.

as above...you should plan what you want to keep...now and in the future, and once you have that in mind, you can select accordingly.

Welcome to BRS! What are your plans for the tank? There are so many people on here with so much knowledge. You should be able to get plenty of good advice as you venture into this hobby. Good luck! Post some pics when you can.

I am planning on keeping this tank pretty simple, I will likely go with mostly soft corals and maybe some lps. I would like to go with a 75-100g in the future but I rent, so until I make the move to buy a house I am trying to stick with small, simple and relatively easy to move. The thought of trying to move a 75-100g setup makes me shudder.

You should upgrade to a 46 gallon Bowfront, which I will be selling soon. lol
No move is easy, but bigger is harder. My advise, like mentioned before, is plan what you want and buy accordingly. Stinks to buy a light or something else, only to ditch it and lose money 6 months later.

I was thinking about grabbing a 46g to upgrade with but I have been overruled on that :( I was able to get a pretty good deal on a set of 2x65w PCs from member that I am going to add to the tank. Softies and maybe some LPS in the upper reaches of the tank should keep me occupied for awhile :.

Back