HOB Plumbing: Filter, Skimmer, and Reactor through Overflow

wpeterson

BRS Member
I added more advanced filtration on our 29ga nano reef over the last month. We've been trying to make the most of a simple Petco 29gal that isn't drilled or reef ready.

I added a Remora Nano skimmer driven by a Cobalt MJ1200. Unfortunately, the intake pump is an eye sore sitting in the tank and it didn't skim the surface well. I found an acrylic overflow box sized for the Remora which has two chambers: a sealed overflow to place the intake pump for the Remora and return chamber with a foam bubble trap. This eliminated the micro bubbles in the tank from the skimmer and pulls in surface water, allowing us to finally clean up the surface film.

Last week I also added a Phosban 150 media reactor driven by a Maxijet 900, which we're running Carbon and GFO in. This also leaves an eye sore in the tank. The outflow from the reactor was hard to place in the tank. I initially ran it into the return chamber on the skimmer box, but it was too much flow and cavitated the substrate below the return chamber.

Today I decided to fix this and plumbed everything more gracefully. The overflow box flows ~ 500gph and I was able to situate both intake pumps inside the overflow, hidden from site and pulling surface water. I plumbed the return from the media reactor into my mechanical filter intake. I drilled and installed a DIY bulkhead on the filter lid. The outflows from the mechanical is much less disruptive, even with the extra water.

2014-03-22%2016.22.34.jpg

2014-03-22%2016.22.50.jpg

It's kind of a hack and there's now a big 1/2" tube loop from the reactor to the filter, but I like it a lot better.

Thanks.

When the water level is near the top of the overflow teeth it works perfectly.

This morning, my top-off level was a little low so the tank water level was right above the base of the overflow teeth and there wasn't enough inflow to supply both pumps (so the skimmer got enough, but the media reactor was starved). I raised the water level in the tank and lowered the level of the overflow to try and keep the water level above the overflow teeth more of the time.

Back