Homemade Weldon

stevenp

(not so) Young MC
I found this interesting. Read the third post. Anyone tried it? I'm going to give it a shot on some scrap acrylic just out of curiosity.

I know acetone can melt down acrylic. It may be worth the try but one warning is it'll have to be done in a ventilated area and away from any flame source. This is already a warning label on the acetone container. It'll take 24 hrs to melt down. If you want to save it to be used later and mixing the two in a bottle with a lid on the jar. Depending on how much acrylic is used determines the density. Below is what I copied and pasted from your source.

Take some scrap pieces of acrylic and mix with acetone (volume ratio 1 part acrylic to 3-4 parts acetone) Let dissolve for 24 hrs and you have home made weld-on.High probability of getting bubbles in the glue if you are not careful when applying it.
Acetone is form of nail polish remover.

I would suggest contacting "acrylics" (James) on RC / RDO and asking about this. He is a professional fabricator and IIRC makes his own solvents. Very helpful guy, should be easy to find in the DIY forums.

Back