Hooking up computer fans questions

Most any 12v 'power brick' should work just fine. The brick just needs to generate enough miliiamps (check the bricks rating), to meet the combined needs of all the fans to be hooked up to it. The fans don't really drain all that much. I am a bit of a packrat and keep some old power adapters for things such as network hubs, kids toy's rechargers, etc lying around. You can hook the up any way you prefer. I usually just cut off the connector at the end of the wire, strip it back, and solder (or use a twist on cap) and some electrical tape to secure it to the pos/neg leads on the fan. You can usually tell what is positive and negative by the color of the wires... but a volt meter can come in useful if unsure. The fan should be hooked up properly.. positive and negative to make sure the fan spins in the correct direction (as I recall).

If you want to get a tad more fancy or practical, you can wire an on/off switch or variable speed switch.

I have my power brick plugged into my Apex EB8. I then set the desired fan speed with a variable speed switch between the power brick and the fan(s). When the tank temp hits a certain level, the fan(s) turn on. I usually run my fan full speed as it isn't that loud. But if you have a lot of fans, you can turn them down a bit to keep the tank from sounding like a wind tunnel.

Its a lot easier to do than it sounds.. and you do not 'need' to solder. Twist on wire caps and electrical tape works just fine. Shrink tube is also handy. Splice, slide over the shrink tube, twist the wires together. Slide the shrink tube over the connection. Use a lighter to heat the shrink tube. It then makes a nice airtight seal.

If it helps maybe I can take a few pics of the one I made and post them. My variable speed switch was actually commandeered from an old AMD computer processor fan.

Last edited:
+1 to what Gweston said any 12 volt power supply with the right milliamp rating will work fine. I use an old 12 volt power supply from my daughters old power wheels and it has worked fine for over a year.

most fans actually will not spin backwards if hooked up wrong, brushless fans (just about all fans) arent motors in the classical sense. if you have the ability soldering and shrinkwrapping provides a more secure connection, i live in boston and i could hook everything up for you if you want.

What they said :)

Look around, most people have a few old wall warts that will do the trick, just make sure it has enough amps. At the very worst, get one at radio shack for $12 (they have at least one version that has a voltage selector so you can turn the fans down if you want) That staples link doesn't list the noise level or amps needed so I would be a little hesitant to order that fan. Noctura and silnex both make really good fans that are virtually silent. I've had good luck ordering from www.quietpc.com

Thanks a lot for the help guys!

How about these fans:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835226013&cm_re=silenx-_-35-226-013-_-Product

I plan on having 2 pushing air in and 3 pulling the air out. I have 3 x 250w MH on a 6' tank. I read somewhere that I would need more air being pulled out that than being pushed in. Does that sound right?

Is this what I need to power them and would I need one for each fan?

http://store.mp3car.com/AC_DC_Power_Brick_120_Volt_AC_to_12V_DC_p/pwr-028.htm

3 pulling air out is good I wouldn't add 2 pushing.Slinex good fans but I have preference for noctua...I have used both.

Back