How I control the grow of fast growing Paly's

Docstach

Non-member
So I have a couple of types of Paly's (gold dust that color great under light and some BRIGHT green ones) that I really like, but grow so fast they can start to take over an area quickly. Instead of trying to cut or scrape out the unwanted growth, I have started making a thin Kalk slurry and injecting a small amount into the mouth of the unwanted paly. Since they are connected you don't need to do this to each individual polyp, you can actually see some of the kalk come out of the neighboring polyps. In a couple of days the polyps in the area become shriveled up and slowly disappear. I am not sure I would do this to a large area, but for small controlled pruning it works well.

Do you think they give off any toxins as they die? I'm still manually ripping a few off the rock every time I do a water change, but this would be easier.

they will give off toxins. make sure you wash your hands very very well so you dont get sick. also make sure you run carbon for a few days

It's funny this topic came up because yesterday evening I spent literally 4hrs ripping every paly out of the tank because they were taking over everything,so I wanted to eliminate them. Afterwards I put my hands and arm under very hot water for as long as I could handle so the toxin could brake down if there was any. I also did a 5 gallon WC after as well. I can't say it wasn't easy but very tedious pulling and standing awkwardly in the tank for so long but I think carefully pulling them off is the best method. Pardon the aftershot everything was a little pissed afterwards and the water was cloudy but you get the idea.
a08f4fc170356064f92e9a791eb30f12.jpg
0197bc14fa1afaf58a17d33ea45b60de.jpg

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have never had an issue with them dyeing off in the tank and causing problems, though I don't do a large section at any one time and haven't been doing it for years or anything. I also have a 125g tank and decent sized sump. In this setting, I am not convinced they are so serious of a danger in the water to other inhabitants. When you have a bunch growing it is hard not think that some are not always getting injured or aggravated (IE hermit crab clawing at one to get a piece of stuck food). There seem to be a lot of things that eat them so they at least don't seem to be effected. In addition, at least when I pulled them off, it seemed to get plenty of goo in the water. To people, that is a different story and why I don't like pulling them out or touching them. Plus this is just easier for me.

Back