How long 'till Dendros pop babies?

deynon09

Mid-life Reefer
I've had these 2 dendros for about a month and a half, and they haven't sprouted babies yet. I spot feed them every day when I feed my fish, use rotifeast & reef chili.

Parameters:
SG: 1.024
Amm, Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: ~15-20
Calc: 500
Alk: 7.5-8
Mag: 1350
Temp: 77.8/78 Day/nite

Any thoughts? They do start to sprout, but don't keep going, the sprout just receeds. They're low in the tank w/ low flow.

Sorry, i didn't explain well enough. When I spot feed them, I feed them mysis...

How long did it take yours to sprout?

Just a comment about your water params. Your NO3 is way high if you're reading 15-20 PPM. Calc is a tad high as well. Alk is a little low.

water levels are fine...NO3 are a tad high but nothing that would hinder the developement of dendros. The biggest thing for dendros is feeding and multiple feedings daily. if you want them to get big and huge feed feed feed...just like sun polyps, the are non photosynthetic so they feed to grow.

water levels are fine...NO3 are a tad high but nothing that would hinder the developement of dendros.

Didn't say it would hinder the growth, but 15-20PPM of NO3 is good in a reef tank?????
The params he listed are not terrible, but are less than ideal according to any literature I've read. Just tryin to help.:D

Last edited:
I also was talking to my LFS an the guy mentioned some chemical warfare between some competing corals? How does that sound? I have 2 of them right next to each other but they are from the same colony.

Yeah, I know I got to do a water change soon. Gotta get that ready actually...

I can tell you from my Sun Coral experience is that feeding alot is what makes a big difference. I even feed each head once, then give it more once the tenticles are out again. Its amazing how much food that thing can take in if I keep feeding it.

I also noticed that when i feed it alot is when I got a bunch of baby heads (For my sun coral)

John

Back