How long without air?

~Flighty~

Now with more baby
We are having some electrical work done today and I have a question.

How long can my refugium go without flow and aeration. It has one sleeping fish and the usual snails, stars pods etc. Some of the house has power, so I could run a cord down there for a bubbler, but it would be a long way and use the cord that the electrical guys need for a fan. The main tank is all set.

Does macro release O2 like a housplant does and does that make a difference? Can I assume that if the mysids are still zinging around that there is plenty of O2 for the fish? He wouldn't use much since he is sleeping, right? He is a small mandarin BTW.

I can't answer that question, but I can tell you that from personal experience, that I once lost a few fish in a 90 gal after an approximate 12 hr. power loss.

from what i've seen, macro only produces oxygen while photosynthesis is going on - so only while the lights are on.

will there still be any water flowing through the refugium? i guess not since you asked the question, but wanted to clarify.

how about a battery powered airstone in there - just to be safe?

Good point Moe, I would use a small pump for circulation if the power is out for 1/2 hr or more in this weather.

Jim

Well, the power is back on. The fuge went the whole time with no circulation and no bubbler. I checked it every half hour and everything looked peechey. Maybe the macro adds O2? Or maybe one sleeping fish and zillions of awake mysids don't consume much air?

I wanted to handle the restart and check the ph and temps so I could adjust everything slowly, but the electrition just came upstairs and said he forgot to tell me he turned the power back on. Oh well, everything looks fine.

Back