How many Elegance Corals have you tried?

What's your record with Elegance corals

• Never tried

Votes: 23 56.1%
  • Killed one

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Killed two

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Killed three or more (shame on you!)

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Trying to succeed, had one for less than a year

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Succeeded, had one for MORE than 1 year

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Succeeded, mine's even dropped babies

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I should start a picture progression of my coral. Unfortunately, I don't have any of when I first got it. I'll get some current pics and then follow it through. It amazes me that mine is still alive after looking dead... This coral is so confusing.

I thought I'd move this thread over to this forum and give it a bump since the topic of elegance corals has come up again. I'd still love to know how to find a healthy one and keep it alive (for years).

from what I have heard the older elagence corals came from shallow waters and survived well, but they where over collected and are basicly all gone (or close to it) now there are only the harder to keep deeper water elegence that have don't survive well .

I've heard similiar to this. I've also heard, larger older speciems fair better.

greg you personally saw my elegance coral in sea world. its been in there at least 4 months now. doing very well. i feed it chopped up clam once in a while.

Unfortunately, just a small quarter size piece of flesh is all that remains. I put it in my fuge/frag tank as a last ditch effort to try and save it.

True slow flow fuges seem to be very good for certain LPS woes.. we've had a few LPS that had slid off their skeletons recuperate in HOB fuges and eventually regrow skeleton. I'm not sure that a frag tank would provide the same kind of conditions... I think what makes them able to get better is a combo of the slow flow (they don't blow around) and the nutrient and microlife.. but it's just a guess. Anyways, I"ve seen it work for frogspawn, open brain, & elegance that was peeling off the skeleton.

Don,

>Unfortunately, just a small quarter size piece of flesh is all that remains. I put it in my fuge/frag tank as a last ditch effort to try and save it.<

The fragment I took from this also did not make it. I don't think this Elegance was well established yet.

The fragment I took from this also did not make it. I don't think this Elegance was well established yet.

I believe Derek had it for about 9 mos. I thought that was long enough, but I guess not. Probably wasn't well enough establiched yet, but it was very healthy looking when I got it from him. Maybe his system was a better environment for it. Unfortunately, we'll never know. The quarter size piece is still holding on though.;)

True slow flow fuges seem to be very good for certain LPS woes.. we've had a few LPS that had slid off their skeletons recuperate in HOB fuges and eventually regrow skeleton. I'm not sure that a frag tank would provide the same kind of conditions... I think what makes them able to get better is a combo of the slow flow (they don't blow around) and the nutrient and microlife.. but it's just a guess. Anyways, I"ve seen it work for frogspawn, open brain, & elegance that was peeling off the skeleton.

This tank is more like a fuge with zoa frags in it, not alot of flow. I'll post in this thread if it rebounds.

Well, after the elegance has been in my fuge type zoa frag tank for about a week or so, it seems to be regrowing some tissue over the dead area. The quarter size is just a hair bigger now. Right now, it's sitting about 12-14" under a 250 hamilton off to the side a bit, on a pile of rubble that is loaded with pods, deep sand bed, and lowish flow. Hopefully it's on the rebound, only time will tell.

This was on Dawn's advise. We were speaking at one of the last meetings, and she said to try and put in in a fuge if I had one. So, if it rebounds, kudos goes to her.

Last edited:
i dont know if you read the article i copy and pasted, but i think you are on the right track. it talked about placing them in refugium type environments. some are collected in muddy merky lagoon type areas, or higher nutrient areas with lower turbulance. good luck with it.

Don,

>Unfortunately, just a small quarter size piece of flesh is all that remains. I put it in my fuge/frag tank as a last ditch effort to try and save it.<

at the time you fragged the coral it wasnt all that well established, maybe a few months. it healed well however and grew tissue over the fragged area. that coral did well in my tank in my tank for roughly 10-11 months.

the key thing that made my decision on the purchase was that it was at the lfs for a good 6 months prior to me taking it home and was healthy looking the whole time.

i'm aware of that coral staying healthy well over one year's time in home aquariums. i hope she pulls together for you don. keep us updated.

Last edited:
> it healed well however and grew tissue over the fragged area<

One thing to note, and one of the only reasons I felt comfortable cutting this frag off of Derek's coral...the fragment that I cut off was completely separated from the rest of the coral by dead skeleton. I cut Only though dead skeleton when I removed my piece.

Now, were it my own healthy Elegance I might not have been afraid to cut though live tissue, but I was not about to take any chances with someone elses healthy Elegance, unless it was too big for their tank (Dawn, are you reading? hint, hint :D )

LOL yup I have been following this thread pretty closely Greg

but see I now have the 240 up and running to allow more room for the elegance :)

but that being said I actually have been talking with people aNd thinking alittle more about trying to frag it in the future .

right now my main goal is to try to get it back 100 % and reestablished in the 240

once that happens maybe next year I will think about trying it with you
BUT>>>>

please send me any info you have on fragging foxes,bubbles,anchors and the likes I understand the jestof it but am not comfortable with cutting the skeleton and basically leaving it to hang and seperate on its own :(

on other notes I do not directly feed my elegance although I severely overfeed my tank and do a very dry skim and I do see the clowns bringing food to it

I also do not run a "clean " system , at anytime you can find my nitrates up around 5-10PPM

my elegance is also in the sand bed skeleton down mouths up moderate changing flow off to the side of the lights
although it has been under everything from PC to 1000MH

>please send me any info you have on fragging foxes,bubbles,anchors and the likes I understand the jestof it but am not comfortable with cutting the skeleton and basically leaving it to hang and seperate on its own<

Dawn, here's the article I wrote on the propagation of Flabello-meandroid (corals with a continuous skeleton) Euphyllia corals.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-03/gh/index.php

I also have propagated Fox in a similar fashion. As was mentioned in another thread, the Fox skeletons are so fragile you can just snap them in your hands.

Back