how many fish for a 40 gallon breeder reef tank

Mike Paul

reefaholic
Hi so i just transfered from a 29 gl. To a 40 gl. breeder just wondering how many fish u think would swim comftorable in the tank I have a 4 inch sandbed and about 55 to 60 pounds of live rock with a reef I'm thinking seven fish n this is what I want and I already have

Black clown n anenome to host it
Scopas tang small
Hawkfish
Spotted Mandarian goby
Diamond goby
Lemonpeel angel small
Purple firefish
coral banded shrimp
Sand sifting starfish

Does anyone think this is to much or could I add a couple more n if so how many would u add

It doesnt matter the size of the juvenile, get that tang out of there and into a bigger home. As for the angel, he is not reef safe so unless you don't want clams or corals you should get him out as well..please do some proper research before you stock up.

You're fine with what you have. If one of the fish grows too big or becomes too aggressive you can always trade or move up to a bigger tank. If it looks too crowded, it usually is.

You're fine with what you have. If one of the fish grows too big or becomes too aggressive you can always trade or move up to a bigger tank. If it looks too crowded, it usually is.

+1

I would becareful with the Lemonpeel angel though. Hit or miss with them and Reef tanks.

Higor

i think if anything you should take fish out ,assuming u are new, thats alot a fish in there already. if u are trying to keep corals with all them fish u going to need a nice sump to hold that bio load .let the tang grow a lil ,and then gettem out to a bigger tank for its well bieng .

the angel just watchem if he aint bothering corals he ok in a 40 .......the tang is the only problem i seee ......if it were just the tang it be fine cus hed have alot more room but with the others ...................how much does he really swim with 60 lbs of live rock

there is one thing to keep fish alive .................but its another to keep them alive happy and thriving ...anyone who has a tang (that is happy )knows exactly the behavior and how enjoying it is to have a happy fat healthy tang

+1 on rehoming the tang. Scopas tangs need at least 6ft of swimming room, even as juveniles. Your hawkfish might also eat the shrimp, and lemonpeel angels are hit or miss. I'm also a little concerned that with 7 fish, some of whom can be quite agressive such as the angel, you are going to see bullying in the tank, and could lose your more docile fish such as the firefish or mandarin as a result. I'd make sure to spot feed the mandarin so that it gets enough to eat with those other aggressive fish in the tank. I don't know how successful you'll be with that many fish and that mix of fish, but good luck if you decide to stick with your current list.

Back