How small can you go?

I had a 2 gal at work...not hard at all...(had a gal of fresh water under the desk for top off) used a scraper on glass during break every few days and did 1/2 gal water change once a week... Easier than my bigger tanks. no dosing, aqua scaping, disease or anything to worry about.

Reeftarded

dz6t said:
Yeah, I just mentioned this in another thread. After pico-reef (10^-12 reef) would come femto-reef (10^-15 reef), followed by atto-reef (10^-18).

I've got another new term to throw out there: reeftarded
reeftarded (adj.) 1. The ridiculous mis-use of a scientific term, especially when describing outlandish concepts. 2. Pursuit of an absurd reefing goal.

Technically speaking, if a 100gal tank is a reef, then a pico-reef would be (1.0*10^-12) * (100gal) = 1.0*10^-10 gal. That's a ten billionth of a gallon, which is roughly a thousandth of a microliter.

But all this science is irrelevant, because, really, what is the point of having a set-up so small that is so susceptible to fluctuations in temperature, etc.? Why just not leave your stuff in the bag and call it a reef?

Okay, okay. I'll lay off. I looked at the web site and it actually is very nice, even if I don't agree on the point. To each their own... :rolleyes:

Matt:cool:

Last edited:
I have a little 5 gallon nano that I set up a few months back, I have a little aqualight over it, and I keep a few snails, hermits and a peppermint shrimp in it. For corals there are a few shrooms, zoos, and some xenia. I was planning on bringing it into work, but for right now it is my frag grow out tank. I'm hoping someday to bring in a FOWLR tank into my office. I really don't do much to my nano, I do a little water change when I change the water of my 29, and I add top off water constatly. Its pretty easy, but then again I only keep simple stuff in there. :)

its nice, but why not do a 10 gallon nano? I can't imagine that it would take up that much more room.then you could add a fish or 2

I guess it would be easy to stock though.

~Flighty~ said:
I think the point is these are little works of art more than a reef IMO.

That's how I see it. I think what he did with the space is beautiful. :) Like a little reef bonsai!

Melody~

your going to see a lot of them dissapear over the summer. I have a 5 gallon as well, and it is way vulnerable to the heat. On hot days, those things will rise in temperatures over 82 degrees in a matter of a couple hours. Unless you have a chiller or a really good fan blowing on the top of the water, a lot of your livestock will die simply because of the heat from the lamps.

The chiller is too expensive for a nano, and the fan evaporates more water than usual. I have to top my nano off every day, and it drops a good inch every day. I don't have a fan blowing on the surface either, mine is in front of the window and it gets the draft from my fan in the opposite window.

the effects: your nano will turn into a bacteria pool if you don't do water changes every week.

when i told the guy at the lfs that i was running a nano and a 35 hex he said to just run the hex because the nano is too hard to keep the nitrates down. he dropped his 10 nano for a 54.

The silicone in each corner covers about 1/2 of the front glass in a tank so small. I think I'd do it in bent acrylic if I were to try something that small.

i kinda like to see one shaped like a perfect cyclinder. I mean...its not like you can't find a glass cylcinder and turn it into a pico, nano, x10^something tank :)

on another note, nano tanks could be good for small colonies that need to be hospitalized or that you want to help get larger before throwing them in your man eating 120 gallon tank or whatever :).

I ran a 1g for four months or so. Too much work and I took it down. I'll stick with our 75g (or bigger!). The 1g was cute, though!

Back