I got Bubble Algae

BostonBill678

Non-member
And I heard Reef Flux is great for that so I got a bottle coming next week but now I got this like brown powder on the inside of my glass that I gotta wipe every day .Does anybody know what it is?Sorry I got no pictures yet I’ll take some tonight.What is it and what can I use to kill it?

I think this may not be bubble algae. Pictures will help when you can post them. Also, what's happening in terms of water chemistry and clean up crew?

Last edited:
If it looks brown and is more of a film with bubbles trapped in it then I would say its cyano. Do you have pictures?

I will say this about emerald crabs not all of them will eat bubble algae. I have bubble algae in my main tank and over the last year I have added close to 20 emeralds and none of them ate any bubble algae. I have to manually remove it every few weeks.

I've found foxface fish to be far more effective although they are limited by 2 main factors, they need to be in a large tank and they cannot get in some nooks where bubble algae can grow. However they absolutely keep it from getting out of control.

I don't believe reef flux will work for bubble alga. Bubble alga is not that big of deal just manually remove.

I picked up 2 emerald crabs from the LFS and they completely rid my tank of it. I even had some on my mag-float and lowed it to the sand bed. Next day the float was clean.

Brown film is likely diatoms, generally common in newer tanks or during nutrient spikes.

Emerald crabs and manual removal is the best option to remove bubble algae.

They have these plastic cases you can put over your Zoas they are 7$ a piece they sell them on eBay and Amazonworked for me my puffer sometimes nibbles I gotta keep him well fed

Last edited:
Back