I just needed to rant a bit.. asterinas

gweston

Non-member
I just needed to rant a bit..

I had some asterina stars in my tank. I don't have all that many of them, but they were good citizens and helped clean up algae on the rock/glass. They did consume some coraline, but too little to have an affect. It just grew back. They were 'vegetarians'.

Well.. as of recent (as in the past few weeks) a few of them had a change of heart. A few began munching zoas.

The story goes... My two favorite zoas starting looking less healthy, remained closed more often, and slowly began receding. I knew it wasn't off parameters. I began to suspect it as the 'unknown melting zoa phenomenon'. That is.. until last Saturday morning. I caught two of the suckers hanging out ON a zoa. I pulled them off, and immediately noticed that the zoas they were on were partially eaten. I was NOT happy.

Suffice to say. I went to town on the tank. I removed every single asterina I could get my hands on. There are still a few around, but when I see one... out it comes. No more Mr Nice Guy.

Looks like my zoas are toast.. I had an awesome purple (I believe they were purple people eaters), and a nice large cluster of neon green zoas (don't know their street name).

Asterina stars. You are no longer welcome.

That sux, but possibly not the real problem. I've had this happen before and it's possible that they were having at a sick/decaying organism.
One option would be to move any sickly looking polyps to a QT tank for treatment...

In my case, very similar to yours... I honestly believe that it was the well documented and unfortunate 'Unknown Melting Polyp' issue.

Maybe we should purchase a BRS Harlequin Shrimp to pass around ... I have a sh*t-ton of them as well ... I just don't want to keep a harlequin in the long run.

I was just saying the same thing the other day, those dam asterina stars they are a pain in the butt, there all over the fragin place. So! Harlequin shrimp will eat them. Anybody know what else would eat them??

I believe there are several different types, I had two. One was slightly bigger than the rest and didn't multiply as fast, I think that is the bad kind. I had the same thing happen to a few zoa colonies but I'm more on the side of them eating sick ones. But some of those sick ones could have come back. I blame them in part for the demise of my 20+ polyp darth maul colony. The best way to get rid of them is crash your tank. :( My tank is now asterinas free and I dip all corals so new new ones.

I have had many different kind of asterinas and never had any eat corals. Although some believe their is a strain that can eat soft corals, I highly doubt that is the true problem.

i saw an asterina on my zoas before too, looked like it cleaned a little patch off between zoas, seems like a passing/occasional thing though

Back