I need advise with my Neon Green Tree Coral (Nepthea)

bryanba11

Non-member
I received a frag of Neon Green Tree Coral from a BRS member (it was doing amazing in his tank), and I've had it in my tank for about 6 months and it has shrunk completely down and won't grow.

Does anyone out there have any luck with Neon Green Tree Corals? To my knowledge it isn't the obvious reasons (i.e. lighting, water quality, etc.). All my other corals are doing amazing so I am guessing there might be something special about this coral...though I thought is was really simple to grow.

Any advise would be great!!! Thanks!!!

This should be in reef topics, but anyways.

What is near it, is something nibbling it? Have you checked it at night? What is you alkalinity?

DO you and him have the same lights, I know when I switched from PC's to MH's my green tree stopped growing. Still I am not sure why though.

2.5-3 meq/L is the alk. Any particular reason you would start with alkalinity??? Are neon green tree corals more prone to stress from changes in buffering capacity than other corals?

As for lighting, I am growing a softies tank so the lighting is PC.

Sorry about posting in the wrong place. I am new to the forum and didn't exactly know where to post this question. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction for the future.

I moved it for you. The corals, equipment, critters, etc forums are all under the "Marketplace" heading, so they're for selling and buying. All reef related questions and discusions can go in Reef Talk.

Was is mounted when you purchsed it? Has it attached on to a rock? Or is it still loose?

They're pretty hardy, and pretty hard to kill IMO, has to be something going on.

Steve

My Neon Green Tree Coral likes to be in heavy flow. I have it right in the path of the return on the right side of my tank. It recedes at night, but once the lights go on it comes fully out. It gets hit pretty heavily with water that is coming from the sump and has food and copepods etc. with it. It feeds most of the day and then goes in at night.

i agree with the placement in fornt of flowing water....that is exactly where the one i got from stevenp is....in front of one of my return lines....open all day and recedes at night. my guess is that there might be something "stinging" it at night or nipping at it.

what other leather coral do you have in the tank? Such as toadstool or finger leather. Sometime the green tree won't grow due to chemical warfare among leather coral. Run carbon will help.

Flow may be the issue. I have him in a low-medium flow area, but I will put him up in an area with more flow. Chemical warfare is always an issue in my tank....yes a big toadstool leather coral. But I do run carbon, so that should be negated.

I'll give the flow a try.

Back