im having new tank issues.....

Johorocks

Non-member
So I just set up my first tank. Its 48a gal. I added live sand and salt and have been stuck with very cloudy white water. Also notice a white dusting over my sand....too much salt????

The cloudy water is just fine particles of sand floating in the water. It'll take a few days to a week to settle. Also, did you mix the salt into the water before putting it in the tank or did you just dump the salt into the tank?

Did you check the salinity after you added salt?

That too. Use a hydrometer to test the salinity (or a refractometer if you want to spend more money but get more accurate readings). Average is between 1.023 and 1.025. I keep mine at 1.024.

I was advised to make the salt in the tank because it was a new tank in the salinity has been high. It has been over a week do you think I should take it out and redo it?

How high is it? You can remove some of the water and replace it with RO water to bring the salinity down.

Its about a inch above where it should be on my hydrometer. Will changing water also clear up some of the cloudiness? It has been over a week like this. I can't even leave the light on my heater

Always mix your saltwater before adding it to the tank and check your salinity. Luckily, this was an opportunity to learn since the tank is new, but when you add livestock to the tank, adding salt and water like you did would kill them (the salt can actually burn fish and inverts if not mixed completely. If you've ever gotten it in a cut, it stings like H***!). For future water changes, invest in a good sized bucket to mix in and an extra pump and heater. Use the pump to create circulation and make sure the salt dissolves completely, and the heater to get the water to the right temperature before adding it. The process usually takes at least a few hours depending on the amount of water you're preparing. Do you have any water circulation in your tank? Powerheads? Return outlets? If not, the salt is going to take a long time to dissolve.

What is your current salinity? It's hard to estimate how much water to take out if you don't know how much salt is in there.

ETA: if you're using one of those weighted tube style hydrometers, and it's an inch above where it should be... You added WAY too much salt. What is the number reading on the hydrometer? The packages that the salt comes in generally gives you an estimation as to how much to add per gallon that will get you into the average salinity range (I know Instant Ocean says 1/2 cup per gallon). Did you read that recommendation? You're probably going to have to take out at least a few gallons of water and replace it with plain RODI or distilled water.

Last edited:
In general, its always a good idea to mix up your salt in a separate container. Id say to do this always unless you have nothing at all in your tank. Salt levels take time to settle so mix per the instructions, let it sit overnight circulating and check the salt the next day. Id trash the hydrometer and get a refractometer. Its a 40 investment that will pay off in this hobby. Second issue you sound like you are having is sediment from new sand. Its usually a good idea to rinse new sand really well to remove the fine particles as best you can. If you dont, your tank could be cloudy for quite a while. The only way to remove this kind of sediment at that point would be a good strong protein skimmer. Try get a handle on your salt level first, dont disturb your sandbed any further (be careful to add water slowly for example and limit flow). If you dont run a protein skimmer yet you might consider adding it asap.

Before I do anything new in this hobby I try to read up and get a few opinions first. Its easy to get really excited and rush into things - but you will eventually learn the hardway that pre and research will save you a ton of $ and frustration.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'm not sure the exact measurement but ill check when I get home. Looks like ill be doing some shopping tonight lol

How did you mix the salt in the tank? If the salt was first, you have a lot of undissolved salt under your sand. If the sand was first, the white stuff could be undissolved salt sitting on the sand. Try to siphon it off. Either way, someone gave you bad advice, and it's going to take some effort to fix it. At your stage of the game, a swing arm salinity meter is better than the floating hydrometer. Just make sure your salt is right before adding any livestock

I would get an aquarium vacuum and start siphoning the white stuff off the sand, its probably undissolved salt. Then I would take quite a bit of water out, probably a 20% water change adding only fresh water to the tank after. That should lower it a good bit and then recheck your levels and go from there. You are about 15ppm to high. I am thinking it will probably take 6 - 8 gallons of that salt water replaced with fresh water to get you in the proper range. Changing out the salt water with fresh is the only way to get your salinity down. Even if the water evaporates, the salt content will just get higher (salt does not evaporate).

What kinda filter do you have, and how much live rock? Those things will go along way getting your water clear. Also I know many people put the filters on the highest GPH (gallons per hour), and that is good if you have clean water and want to turn the water over as many times as possible. But when cleaning the water I find the lowest setting lets the water spend more time in the filter and actually cleans it better because it has more contact time. Try putting your filter on the lowest GPH setting.

if there is any flow in the tank the salt will dissolve in a matter of hours. i wouldnt bother with a siphon that will just stirr up more sediment. the skimmer and the bacteria developing in the tank will take care of sediment over time.

I would not suggest putting anything alive (including rock) in the tank until youve done some more reading. you could get some bacteria starter and add that as soon as your salt is stabilized to establish your sand bed.

Back