I'm New! And I got a question

rad1687

Non-member
Hi guys! I am brand spanking new to BRS, and pretty excited. My buddy and I are setting up a 45 gallon tank in our dorm. Its been up for almost a month now, has 60 or 65 lbs of cured live rock, lots of snails and hermit crabs, a giant feather duster, 3 peppermint shrimp, and a cleaner shrimp. All is well at the moment! Have 2 powerheads circulating the water, a small power filter that I want to fill with chaeto, and a jebo ps75 skimmer on the way. The only thing is, we have pretty shotty lighting.

My question is that when we upgrade, should we go for a 4x 39watt T5 fixture or a 2x 95watt power compact one?? We are looking at Compact USA as a brand. I have heard they are not the best, but we are on a college budget.

Thanks so much and I really look forward to learning from you guys!

Welcome to the club!
Go with the T5... PC lighting pretty much sucks. If you really want to save, go to reefgeek.com and get a "retro" kit and just build your own hood for it.

T5's as well, or since your in college have a keg party to pay for the MH's.

Attachments

• WelcomeBRS.jpg
    WelcomeBRS.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 398
i have a question for all you college guys. what do you do with the tanks in the summer? do you take them home? seems like an aweful lot of work to keep moving it back and forth.

The superintendent of the dorm takes care of it for me. He comes up once a day to feed and give the tank a general look over.

hey there! welcome to our club :) we are thrilled to have new enthusiastic members :) That is cool that you are doing salt in your dorm... I had a few fancy goldfish and an Oscar in my room at school (in separate tanks of course!) but I had to drive them back and forth with me... freshies are easier travelers than salties for sure :) you are really lucky to have someone to take care of the tank for you!

Where are you going to school?
you should try to get to a meeting. they are always fun.. the next one is like a workshop I believe...
brsanime.gif

I'm going to be a junior at Harvard. Where and when are the meetings? Thanks for all of the quick and informative replies!

suggestion

when i was at umass, there was no additional cost for electricity. not sure if *puts on his monacle* Haaaaaavad is the same, but if you won't have to pay for electricity, you ought to make a DIY halide system and have the school foot the bill :p all the ladies will ooo and ahhhh.

-M

TGIF and WELCOME TO BRS

Not sure about the lights.I'm trying to decide between T5's and metal halide.Lights will definetly wipe out a budget real fast.

Welcome! I'm new too.

I had a 25 gal. freshwater tank (technically not allowed) in my dorm for 2 years. I carted it back and forth in my car whenever I went home :).

*Note, fish tanks make the guys ooh and ahh as well.

Last edited:
Welcome to BRS and good luck back at Harvard!

I have used both PC and T5 and I like T5 better. I had a PC only fixture, a MH/PC and now I have a MH/T5 and I like this the best. I have the Current USA fixture - I like the fixture, but not so much the bulbs.

What bulbs would you recommend? Brand and type? If it is a 4 lamp fixture, would I want 2 daylight and 2 actinic? Thanks!

Back