Impact of high temp

Biotoper

Biotoper
My tank has been getting up toward 85' on these hot days, and I've been doing what you do (turning the lights off, blowing a fan across it, putting frozen jugs in the sump - I don't have AC) which seems to be working keeping it under 82' on the hottest days, but it's still been reaching 85 for extended periods sometimes.

However, I have not noticed visually any impact on my livestock - coral and anemone fully open, active fish, etc, so I'm thinking do I need to be that concerned. And maybe the work I'm doing to keep it lower might be stressing them with the temp change caused. Advice?

I understand others have had tank crashes during heat waves. What's the temp that you need to hit for this to happen? Do you see it coming with closed-up coral, etc, or is all of sudden die-off?\

Ryan

I had a major major issue with Hair Algae after my heat issues last year.....

I hit around 92-94 early in the season when I didn't have the ac running and only had one acro bleach. While I don't reccomend that don't despair if you got water motion and aeration in the tank. If it gets high bring it down slow. Raise the lights higher off the water...And think about getting more electrically efficient pumps. A lot of the larger power hogs as well as some of the samller ones tend to transfer a good amount of heat in the water. I have about 75 gallons of water including the sump in my set up. I don't buy the ice jug theory. I have put 4 frozen 2 liters in the sump, and it didn't budge the temp 1 degree....You would need a lot of ice to budge it in my opinion.

I have about 40g total volume and 1 2L bottle does seem to bring temp down about 2 deg but of course it doesn't last. I have an Eheim 350gph submersible pump, so I don't think that's adding much heat. Lights definitely raise the temp a couple deg if the room temp is above 80 - raising them rather than turning them off is a good idea. But mostly, if the room is hitting 90, there's not much I can do other than getting an ac.

My tanks are in the basement, and I thought they were OK down there where it's cooler. But on the hot/humid days recently even the basement gets warm, and my temps were hovering about 84-85 in the tank a few days. I got a small AC and set it on 70. It doesn't keep the room that cold, but it takes the edge off the tank. Now I'm averaging about 79-81.

I've also noticed a green/brown? (me being a bit colorblind) hair algae bloom over the past few weeks. Janitors are trying to keep up with it.

My basement went up to 77.5 over the weekend
That made my tank go to 82, basement frag tank was 85
I unplugged the heater in the frag tank, just in case
I'll have to go check it today, Basement is back down to 75

I kept 1/2 the canopy open, the other 1/2 propped open a little - and let a fan blow thru the room. Tank is 82 right now

What I'm really interested in people's livestock experience in tanks hitting higher temp. The general wisdom in anything over ~82 is bad and everyone seems to do what they can to keep temp below this, but I'm wondering if there is much direct experience to back up this concern. I just did a quick google search to find some science on this - here's a few abstracts below. Of course most of the research is concerned with the effect of ocean warming on reefs, rather than aquariums on hot days, but Shimek has a nice article
http://web.archive.org/web/20030218...om/fish2/aqfm/1997/nov/features/1/default.asp

Effects of temperature on the mortality and growth of Hawaiian reef corals
P. L. Jokiel and S. L. Coles
Abstract Three common species of Hawaiian reef corals, Pocillopora damicornis (L.), Montipora verrucosa (Lamarck) and Fungia scutaria Lamarck, were grown in a temperature-regulated, continuous-flow sea water system. The skeletal growth optimum occurred near 26?C, coinciding with the natural summer ambient temperature in Hawaii, and was lowest at 21? to 22?C, representing Hawaiian winter ambient. Levels of approximately 32?C produced mortality within days. Prolonged exposure to temperatures of approximately 30?C eventually caused loss of photosynthetic pigment, increased mortality, and reduced calcification. Corals lived only 1 to 2 weeks at 18?C. The corals showed greater initial resistance at the lower lethal limit, but ultimately low temperature was more deleterious than high temperature. Results suggest that a decrease in the natural water temperature of Hawaiian reefs would be more harmful to corals than a temperature increase of the same magnitude.

Effect of temperature and temperature adaptation on calcification rate in the hermatypic coral Pocillopora damicornis
C. D. Clausen and A. A. Roth
Abstract Using 45Ca incorporation into the coral skeleton as a measure of calcification rate, the effect of temperature on clacification rate was studied in the hermatypic coral Pocillopora damicornis. Both immediate and long-term (adaptation) effects were investigated. Temperature has a marked effect on rate ? an effect that varies depending on the temperature history of the coral (i.e., temperature adaptation occurs). P. damicornis showed both 27? and 31?C temperature optima, one or the other being dominant depending on the natural water temperature to which the coral was adapted. The two optimum temperatures may indicate two isoenzymes or two alternate metabolic pathways involved in the calcification process.

Synergistic effects of temperature, salinity and light on the hermatypic coral Montipora verrucosa
S. L. Coles and P. L. Jokiel
Abstract Temperature tolerance in the reef coral Montipora verrucosa (Lamarck) is affected by salinity and light. Low salinity reduces ability of the coral to survive shortterm exposure to elevated temperature. High natural light intensity aggravates damage sustained by corals at high temperature. In long-term growth experiments, high light intensity caused substantial loss of zooxanthellar pigment, higher mortality rates, reduced carbon fixation and lowered growth rate at both upper and lower sublethal temperatures Effects of light at optimal temperature were less dramatic. Interactions between physical environmental factors appear to be most important near the limits of tolerance for a given factor. Acclimation capability was indicated, and was influenced by both thermal history and pigmentation state of stressed corals.

I take away from all this that anything under 86F, at least in the short term, is probably fine, and hitting 90 is where you'll really start to see an effect. The main impact seems to be bleaching - there's no data on softies, but perhaps softie-only tanks may be less of a concern at high temps.

Heat Effects?

Well, I can't specifically attribute this to heat problems, but I've been seeing my Xenias starting to only weakly pulse, and some stalks have withered and shrunk away, and also having somewhat similar difficulties with Capnella just not looking as healthy as it has in the past.

This has been happening over the past month, so I think it's coincidence that my tank temps are also higher. I think it may be more to other water quality factors (high nitrates for sure but maybe other chemistry probs) which I am trying to get under control. I'm suspecting that the higher temps aren't helping any, but I can't say they are the cause either.

Back